Balancing social, environmental and economic issues today to preserve the earth's resources for tomorrow.
Sustainability is one of our HCC values. Academically and operationally, the college is committed to limit our collective impact on the earth but also to take a leadership position in promoting sustainability practices in our community and beyond.
The Green Committee is made up of students, staff and faculty, and leads HCC's environmental planning efforts, coordinates their implementation and tracks progress. In 2007, college leadership formalized HCC's sustainability resolve by signing the American College & University Presidents Climate Commitment, agreeing to: enact a comprehensive plan to achieve climate neutrality by 2050; identify tangible actions to reduce greenhouse gases; and to compile progress reports and make them publicly available by providing them to the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE).
To learn about our Green Committee contact co-chairs Shelly Billelo, Belinda Green or Bob Marietta.
Other Initiatives and Information
- Green Committee’s Lunch & Learn series on a variety of sustainability issues will be announced throughout the year.
- Students can participate in sustainability projects by joining the Student Environmental Association club, as well as signing up for Service Learning Projects through your class instructors.
- Green Professors and Green Professionals are recognized for their commitments to making the campus more sustainable. For more information contact Abdelrahim Salih, David Buck or Jacqueline Dzubak.
- Howard County and larger community sustainability information can be found at https://livegreenhoward.com/ Information on local government and nonprofit organizations can be found here.
- Find out about recycling at HCC
- For carpooling go to CARPOOL WORLD link or download this free app https://www.waze.com/carpool
- Plants and wildlife on campus: HCC is a certified National Wildlife Federation wildlife habitat https://www.nwf.org/certifiedwildlifehabitat and HCC is certified as a Bay Wise Landscape https://extension.umd.edu/baywise/program-certification
Check out our new podcast with HCC's Bob Marietta!