HCC at a Glance
Howard Community College (HCC). You Can Get There From Here.
10901 Little Patuxent Parkway, Columbia, Maryland
Conveniently located 35 minutes south of Baltimore and 50 minutes north of Washington, D.C.
Founded in 1966 as the fourteenth of Maryland's 16 community colleges. Doors opened in fall 1970.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Seven citizens, appointed by the Maryland Governor for six-year terms, serve as the college's legal governing body.
Meet our Board.
HCC BY THE NUMBERS
FACULTY & STAFF
- Student to faculty ratio of 19:1
- 2,577 employees
- 14,314 credit students enrolled in fiscal year (FY) 2020
- 12,313 noncredit continuing education students enrolled in FY20
- 39 percent of all Howard County undergraduates attend Howard Community College
- 22.2 percent of graduating seniors from Howard County high schools enrolled in fall 2019
- 8,732 noncredit students enrolled in workforce development training classes from HCC in FY19.
- 28 percent of credit students attended full time; 72 percent attended part time in Fall 2020.
CREDIT STUDENT DEMOGRAPHICS
Fall Semester 2020
- Average age: 25 years old
- 106 different countries represented by student body
Credit Student Ethnicity, Fall 2020
|Two or more races||7%|
|American Indian/Alaska Native||<1%|
|Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander||<1%|
SMART RETURN ON YOUR INVESTMENT
(Source: Socioeconomic study by Economic Modeling Specialists, Inc, 2016)
- For every $1 students invest in their education, they see a return of $1.90 in higher future earnings.
- Students enjoy an attractive 9.4% rate of return on their HCC investment, paying back their investment in just 12.2 years.
FOR THE COMMUNITY
- For every $1 allocated to HCC, state and county governments see a 4.6% return on their investment.
- HCC pumps about $337.8 million annually into the local community, which is the equivalent of 5,328 jobs.
DEGREES & CERTIFICATES
- Associate of arts: two years, transfers to four-year program
- Associate in applied science: two years, leads to employment
- Associate of arts in teaching: two years, transfers to four-year program
- Associate of science in engineering: two years, transfers to four-year program
- Certificate: one year, leads to employment
- Letter of recognition: set of courses to enhance skills
TUITION & FEES PER SEMESTER
As of fall 2020, HCC offers students in-county tuition at $142 per credit and a consolidated fee of 19.96 percent.
Note: The Pay for College web page offers information to help determine an approximation of the expected costs and available options for payment.
Forty-three point six percent (43.6%) of fall 2020 credit students have received financial aid during their time at HCC.
Fiscal Year 2020 Operating Budget: $123,159,664 (unrestricted and auxiliary)
|Tuition and Fees||37%|
For further details, contact HCC's Office of Planning, Research, and Organizational Development (PROD).