Information Technology (IT) Apprenticeship
HCC’s Information Technology (IT) Apprenticeship Program is facilitated in partnership with local networking and technology firms. Once accepted into the program, apprentices interview for placement into one of four entry-level roles: IT Field Support Specialist, which supports equipment installation, troubleshooting, and maintenance needs; Network Field Support Specialist, which concentrates on testing existing networks for functionality and security; Information Systems Security Engineer, which develops and recommends risk mitigation strategies; or Linux System Administrator, which updates software and ensures proper security protocols are performed on computers using the Linux platform.
IT apprenticeships are completed over a course of three to four years, and include up to 4,000 hours of on-the-job training. HCC’s IT Apprenticeship Program is the only one of its kind in Maryland.
Watch our 43-second video overviewing the IT Apprenticeship Program.
Requirements for Admission
Applications for the IT program are available year-round with planned cohort starts during fall and spring semesters. Standard requirements for admission are:
- Be 18 years of age or older by the program start date.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Earned a high school diploma or GED, or be a dual-enrolled high school senior.
- Have a driver’s license.
- Able to receive and maintain a federal security clearance.
- Ability to lift and move up to 50 pounds.
- Complete at least one computer technology or STEM course, OR hold an active certification from a workforce training program or industry examination (CompTIA, AWS, Microsoft, Google Professional IT, Cisco Network Certification, etc.).
- Not exceeded 50 percent of the program’s curriculum via foundational and track-specific coursework, prior to admission.
- Complete an initial program screening and employment interview.
The IT Apprenticeship Program is open to prospective and current HCC students.
Eager to Take the First Step?
If you are a current high school student who is interested in participating in the HCPSS Apprenticeship Maryland Academy during your senior year, click here.
- Discuss your interest in participating in an apprenticeship and review requirements for the program with your parent/guardian.
- Meet with the HCPSS Apprenticeship Maryland Coordinator to discuss opportunities and next steps for enrollment during your senior year.
- Interview with local eligible employers, to be considered for a position that aligns with your interests and career goals.
If you are a current Howard County Public School System student who is participating in the Cybersecurity Networking Career Academy, click here.
- Meet with your school counselor and Career Academy teacher to discuss your career goals and post-secondary plans.
If you are a recent high school graduate, click here:
- Apply for admission to HCC.
- Upon acceptance, apply to HCC’s IT Apprenticeship Program and submit required documentation.
- Prepare for interviews with both HCC and prospective employers, who will want to know what inspired your interest in this program, your career goals, and why you should be considered a strong candidate for consideration.
If you are current HCC student, click here.
- Apply to HCC’s IT Apprenticeship Program and submit required documentation.
- Prepare for interviews with both HCC and prospective employers who will want to know what inspired your interest in this program, your career goals, and why you should be considered a strong candidate for consideration.
“Live with Cris” spotlights programs and stories that are important to the HCC community. Click below to watch a segment about the IT Apprenticeship program.
Ready to Learn More?
Thank you for requesting more information about our apprenticeship programs.
Please submit the form and we will be in touch shortly!