Safe Zone (LGBTQ)
Fostering a climate of respect and understanding for the LGBTQ community
The presence of supportive educators and staff can promote respect and have a positive impact on the academic and social experience for LGBTQ students.
What is Safe Zone?
Safe Zone is a network of allies committed to providing a welcoming, supportive, and safe environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students, faculty, and staff at HCC. Safe Zones aim to foster an affirmative climate of civility, safety, and support for all members of the campus community. Its members serve as allies, educators, resources, and advocates.
How Does Safe Zone Work?
Safe Zone provides training to allies who will then provide visible support through the display of the SAFE Zone Logo. These allies attend a comprehensive training, receive a manual, and agree to be supportive of LGBTQ students and employees.
Safe Zone Allies
What is a Safe Zone Ally?
A Safe Zone ally is someone who can provide the following for the LGBTQ community:
- Chooses to support and advocate
- Is informed with accurate and current information
- Creates a safe and supportive environment
- Respects confidentiality concerning questions
- Is open about answering questions
- Knows about the services available
- Will continue to learn about issues
- Will challenge discrimination
All Gender Restrooms
The Safe Zone Committee seeks to provide an inclusive and respectful campus environment that responds to the needs of our LGBTQ community. Recognizing there are unique challenges transgender individuals face in regard to bathroom use, we provide a list of all-gender facilities on campus. FAQs have been provided for anyone interested in learning more about all gender restrooms. View our All-Gender Facilities Policy for more information.
A full list of single-occupancy restrooms are listed below:
Academic Commons (AC)
- AC 208 , single restroom
Clark Library (CL)
- CL 172, single stall located in the wellness center, labeled male/female with only handicap symbol
Duncan Hall (DH)
- R-32 and R-33, labeled as all gender restrooms located on the third floor.
McCuan Hall (MH)
- MH 033, single stall labeled unisex located in the basement
Horowitz Visual and Performing Arts Center (HVPA)
- HVPA R112, single stall labeled male/female located near the dance studios
- HVPA R23, single stall labeled male/female located on the second floor near the elevator
Rouse Company Foundation Student Services Hall (RCF)
- RCF R33, single stall labeled family restroom located on third floor includes changing table
Science Engineering and Technology Building (SET)
- SET 274B, single stall on the second floor in the lab wing near the elevators