Public Safety Status Report
Howard Community College is operating under its normal schedule.
The college will be conducting a LOCKDOWN Drill on Friday, February 22, 2019 in the early afternoon to practice and evaluate its emergency preparedness, response and recovery efforts. The actual lockdown time will be approximately 5-7 minutes. Review the EMERGENCY QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE and sign up for the MOBILE ALERT SYSTEM.
- For the status of Laurel College Center, check the status of Prince George's Community College.
- For the status of performing arts events on campus, call the Horowitz Center Box Office hotline at 443-518-4030.
- For emergencies, call HCC Public Safety at 443-518-5555; for non-emergencies, call 443-518-5500.
- To receive immediate notification of HCC emergencies and closing/delayed openings, subscribe to the free Mobile Alert System detailed below.
Emergency Closing Policies
There are several ways to check on the status of an HCC emergency or weather-related closing/delayed opening:
- The HCC website homepage is updated with an announcement and will link to this page if there are details.
- Subscribers to the HCC Mobile Alert System will receive a message on their designated device, if the Closings & Delays option was selected. Click here for more information on how to subscribe to this free, optional service for students and employees.
- The HCC switchboard number (443-518-1000) has a recorded message about the status.
- Many radio and television stations in the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area are notified. However, for the most timely and accurate updates, please check one of the official college sources listed above.
- When the radio/TV stations announce that Howard County Public Schools are closed, Howard Community College Continuing Education classes held at those schools will be canceled.
Late Opening Policy
If the college has a late opening and there is 30 minutes or more of time left in a scheduled class at the late opening time, that particular class will meet for the remainder of the class time. For example, if your class runs from 11 a.m. to 12:50 p.m. and the college opens at 12 p.m., then your class would still be held.
Early Closing Policy
If the college will be closing early and there will be 30 minutes or more of time available for a scheduled class before the college closes, that particular class will meet during the available time. For example, if your class meets from 4:30 to 5:50 p.m. and the college closes at 5:30 p.m., your class would still be held.
Laurel College Center Policy
The Laurel College Center follows the closings and delays of Prince George's Community College. In the case of inclement weather, please watch for announcements for Prince George's Community College, or, call: 1-866-228-6110, or 443-518-4162. These phone numbers are continually updated with information about closings and delays.