Job Search Strategies
Review the seven steps below to help increase your chances of successfully finding the right job.
Step 1: Know Yourself
- Understand your responsibility in managing your job search.
- Assess what you want out of a job and what is important to you.
- Determine the skills you have to offer and what skills you may need to develop or renew.
- Identify the type of position you are seeking as your objective.
Step 2: Get Organized
- Write down your goals and commit to established timelines.
- Create a job search plan, and use a career portfolio to help you stay organized.
- Update your resumé at least once a year to ensure current information.
- Keep track of networking contacts, job leads, and resume versions.
Step 3: Do your Research!
- Research careers, specific positions, and industry trends.
- Learn about the target employer's products, services, and culture before the interview.
- Search the Internet, and use printed materials and other resources in the career center or library.
- Contact professional organizations and associations for information as well as networking opportunities.
Step 4: Develop Your Network
- Participate in Counseling and Career Services sponsored events.
- Join and participate in professional associations.
- Keep in touch with classmates, professors, and previous co-workers.
- Use daily encounters with people to expand your network.
Step 5: Write an Effective Resume
- Target your resumé for the position you are seeking. You may need more than one resume depending upon your career goals.
- Emphasize your skills and experiences by using adjectives and quantifiers to describe your job duties.
- Update your resumé periodically to include current information and appropriate recognitions.
- Utilize resumé samples from the career library, including electronic resumé formats, to help with sylistic issues.
- Visit resumé writing websites for additional tips and resources.
- Proofread your resumé for grammatical and spelling errors.
Contact the Counseling and Career Services Office 443-518-1340 to schedule a resume critique.
Step 6: Become Comfortable with the Interview
- Know what value you can bring to a company/employer.
- Identify typical interview questions, and prepare effective responses.
- Practice answering interview questions through a "mock interview."
- Write thank you notes or letters after each interview.
- Visit interviewing websites for additional tips and resources.
- Debrief with a counselor on how the interview progressed. What worked well? What needs improvement?
Step 7: Evaluate Your Job Search
- Identify the job search strategies that you have been using. What has worked? What areas might you strengthen?
- Pursue all job leads provided to you from your network. Make follow-up calls regarding job leads and completed interviews.
- Constantly improve your skills and your ability to market them.
- Be alert and ready for when your next opportunity comes along.
- Be proactive and take action: do not wait for opportunities to come to you.
Visit job search websites to stay updated on possible job opportunities available to you.