Comprehensive services for planning and succeeding in your career.
Students and Community Members:
To schedule an appointment for career counseling, job search assistance, internship/co-op assistance, or resume review, please call and leave a message at 443-518-1340. Your call will be returned within 24 hours and an appointment will be scheduled. Appointments will be conducted remotely either by phone or video (Zoom).
Create an account in Handshake to view internships and employment opportunities. Click “No account? Sign up here” on the top right of the page.
Current students, use your Howard Community College email address to create an account.
Community members, enter your email address to create an account.
- If you wish to post a job, please visit Handshake. Your position will be reviewed for approval within 24 hours (Monday – Friday).
- If you wish to learn more about upcoming job fairs, please visit www.howardcc.edu/jobfair.
- Please contact Tanja Swain (email@example.com) for jobs and Zana Watson for internships (firstname.lastname@example.org) for additional assistance.
Making decisions about your current or future career is an important part of your experience at Howard Community College. Whether you are seeking employment opportunities, choosing a career, or choosing an academic major, the most effective decisions are made by engaging in each stage of the career development process.
Career services staff are available on an appointment basis to assist you through each stage of the career development process. Learn more about these stages and how we can help, as follows:
Understanding yourself and your unique skills and talents can guide you to different academic majors and careers. Career assessment tools will assist you in this process. Meet with a career counselor to obtain more information on the following assessments.
- FOCUS-2 - a self-guided online career assessment that helps you discover your interests, personality, leisure activities, values, and skills. The assessment results are next matched with programs offered at HCC, as well as various occupations. Through FOCUS-2, you can also research and explore over 1,200 careers, and work at your own pace. Get started with the FOCUS-2 assessment today! Just be sure to remember your username and password to revisit your results.
- Strong Interest Inventory - one of the world's most widely respected and frequently used career planning tools that assesses your individual interests and matches them with academic majors and occupations.
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) - the most widely used personality inventory in the world helps you learn about what makes you similar or different from others, as well as how your personality type corresponds with various occupations.
Exploration is the best way to learn about the ever-changing world of careers. The links below provide excellent resources that will help you learn much more about various industries and occupations.
- Career Coach - the most current data on wages, employment, and job postings in the greater Columbia, Baltimore, and D.C. areas. Career Coach also helps you make the connection between majors offered at HCC and occupations.
- What Can I Do with This Major? - an online job exploration tool that provides you with valuable information on some of the most common academic majors. You will learn about typical career areas and the types of employers that hire staff from various majors, as well as strategies to make you stand out as the best candidate.
- O*NET - a tool sponsored by the US Department of Labor, in an effort to provide you with detailed descriptions, including salary information and projected job outlook.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - information on hundreds of occupations, provided by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. This helpful handbook includes details such as education and training, work environments, and job duties.
Preparing for and deciding on a major, internship, and career can be a challenging time. We understand that you may want someone to talk to about your experiences, and we can provide the support you need. Visit our office or feel free to schedule an appointment to talk to one of our career counselors or to receive personal counseling services.
Get Experience (Internships & Co-ops)
Internships and co-ops provide you with an opportunity to gain practical work experience and to explore careers that interest you. In addition, recent surveys have found that approximately 50 percent of employers would like to see an internship on a student's resume.
Internships are temporary work experiences that relate to your college major or career goals. Internships can be done at any time during your college career.
Our office partners with the federal government's Workforce Recruitment Program, which connects students with disabilities with summer internship positions. Learn more about the Workforce Recruitment Program.
Co-ops (cooperative education) are more structured work experiences that are connected to a six-week course at HCC, where academic credit is earned upon successful completion. Co-ops can be performed during the fall, spring, or summer semesters.
Make Career Choices
Our counselors are available to assist you through every step of your job search, from developing job search strategies to reviewing your resume and helping you prepare for an interview. Best of all, job search assistance is available for free to all students and community members! All you need to do is make an appointment. Call our office or stop by to schedule an appointment.
To find out about listing a job or internship, participating in career fairs or recruiting at HCCVisit our employers page