HOWL Online Writing Lab
Better communication through the written word
The HCC Online Writing Lab (HOWL) is another valuable aspect of our academic support services, offering help with your written assignments at Howard Community College.
HOWL provides the following:
- Strategies and tips for improving your writing skills
- Resources for content in your essays
- Information clarifying your responsibilities as a student writer
- Email responses with feedback on your writing
You may use HOWL at any step in the writing process -- just be sure to include an explanation of your assignment and let us know specifically what kind of help you are seeking. We hope that you will find HOWL a useful tool as you discover and create.
Please understand that the HOWL cannot provide immediate feedback. Our tutors will strive to answer your questions within three days. For example, if you send in your paper on Friday afternoon, you should expect our response no later than Tuesday.
Note: ONLY use HCC email while sending or receiving email from the HOWL. External emails are not accepted.
- Avoiding Plagiarism
- Academic Honesty is important at Howard Community College. We encourage students to know about it, practice it, and encourage other students to be honest, too.
- "Is it Plagiarism Yet?" from Purdue OWL. Definition, examples, exercises and safe practices for avoiding plagiarism in your work.
- "What is Plagiarism?" from UNC-Chapel Hill Writing Center. Explains what plagiarism is, why it is important to avoid and how to avoid it.
- "Paraphrasing" from University of Wisconsin-Madison. Examples of successful versus unsuccessful paraphrasing.
- "Quoting, Paraphrasing, Summarizing" from Purdue OWL. Explanations and examples of three ways of including the words and ideas of others.
- Academic Success Resources
- Writing Resources
- Resources for Students and Tutors: Need more help with writing? Check out Purdue University's Online Writing Lab. This site has an outstanding selection of handouts on the writing process and grammar.
- Colorado State University Writing Center. This site provides excellent instruction, examples and activities (requires registration for activities, but the site "keeps" submitted work for collaboration and to show progress).
- Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL). Expert instruction and examples related to common and not-so-common writing issues from grammar to argumentative writing. Handouts, PowerPoint presentations, ESL-specific help, and more are available.
- University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill Writing Center. Find expert explanation and examples for writing issues, with handouts, videos and demos.
- ESL Resources
Online resources recommended by faculty.