Computer-Aided Design Technology - A.A.S. Degree (Career)
Computer-Aided Design (CAD) is used in virtually every industry to produce technical drawings and documents that help design everything from microchips to skyscrapers to computer games. Those skilled in CAD can be described as technical artisans that work in pixels. HCC offers both an associate degree and a certificate program for career entry or skill enhancement.
The growing applications of computer-aided design (CAD) in such fields as electro‑mechanical engineering, civil engineering, architecture, multimedia, and presentation graphics have increased the demand for skilled technicians to assist in all phases of conception and design. Graduates will be able to gain employment as a skilled application specialist in CAD.
Individuals experienced in manual drafting may also enroll in this program to enhance their skills and knowledge. Students will learn to use the CAD system to develop complex drawings and technical documents. Among the skills acquired in this area of study, students will learn to program the CAD system and develop their own application packages. Students will become proficient in recognizing various computer graphic file formats and translation standards.
Also, students will become familiar with various CAD systems in the industry. HCC and the Howard County public school system have developed a tech prep track in computer-aided design technology.
As a graduate, you should be able to:
- Develop and demonstrate the knowledge and application of various CADD systems as it applies to specific design disciplines.
- Demonstrate mastery of tools used for creating and translating various CADD file formats.
- Demonstrate knowledge of CADD hardware and software requirements including cloud-based workflows and current industry trends.
- Describe, analyze, and effectively apply the core principles of design and manufacturing using CADD.
- Identify, understand, evaluate, and apply ethical reasoning as it applies to the use of CADD as a design and planning tool.
Visit the Technology instructional area for more information and related programs.
Hi! We would be happy to share more information about our programs.
Please submit the form and we will be in touch shortly!