Apply to the English Institute
Take your first step to success.
- Create an account. After you create your account, you can access it at any time online.
- Complete and submit your application.
- Submit supplemental items. We accept many file formats, including photos of documents, but the file must be clear enough to read. In most cases, translated copies are not required, but we will contact you if translation is needed. We also accept documents in person or by email or fax.
When to Apply
You can apply at any time, but we recommend applying at least six weeks before the term begins. The spring term begins the last week of January, the summer term begins the first week of May, and the fall term begins the last week of August.
You can apply as early as five months before the term begins.
Required Documents for F1 Transfer Applicants
In addition to the documents required for international (F1) applicants (listed above), transfer applicants must also provide:
- Current (F1) visa. If you have dependents, also include their F2 visas.
- EI Transfer Eligibility Form. You should print this form, complete the top portion, and give it to a DSO at your current school to return to the EI.
- I-94. Your I-94 is available online at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/. If you have dependents, also include their I-94s.
- I-20s. Include all I-20s you have ever received.
Required Documents for International (F1) Applicants
- Application fee. You can pay the $100 fee online with a credit or debit card. We also accept cash, U.S. check, and money orders in our office.
- Financial Statement(s). Attach current financial statement(s) that are in English, on bank letterhead, and include date printed, account holder's name, partial account number, funds available for immediate withdrawal, and currency. Financial statement(s) should demonstrate $27,192 or more (or $11,650 if you will have a room and board sponsor). Additional $3,300 must be demonstrated for each dependent spouse or child. Additional $2,900 must be demonstrated if you intend to start your studies in the summer term.
- Affidavit of Support. If you will have financial and/or room and board sponsor(s), each person should complete this form.
- Affidavit of Support - Accompanying Dependent Information. If your spouse or child(ren) will accompany you AND you have a sponsor, you should complete this form.
- Dependents' documents. If your spouse or child(ren) will accompany you in F2 status, attach a copy of their passport photo page(s).
- Passport photo page
- Proof of high school graduation. Attach a copy of your official high school diploma or official university transcript or diploma.
- Summer Study Advisory Form. Complete this form if you are applying for the Summer term.
Required Documents for Applicants Seeking a Change of Status
In addition to the documents required for international (F1) applicants (listed above), applicants who are seeking a change of status must also provide:
- Current visa. If you have dependents, also include their visas.
- I-94. Your I-94 is available online at the Department of Homeland Security. If you have dependents, also include their I-94s.
- Other documentation may be required depending on your current status, such as your DS-2019 (for applicants currently in J-1 status). An English Institute staff member will contact you if additional documentation is needed.
Required Documents for U.S. Residents
- Application fee. You can pay the $50 fee online with a credit or debit card. We also accept cash, U.S. check, and money orders in our office.
- Proof of high school completion. Attach a copy of your official high school diploma or official university transcript or diploma.
- Proof of U.S. residency. For example, your green card or qualifying visa. If you are a U.S. citizen, you do not need to provide this documentation.
What to Expect After You ApplyAfter you submit your application, we will email you within three business days to confirm that we received your application and request additional information if needed. When your application is complete, your admission documents will be sent electronically.
Hi! We would be happy to share more information about the English Institute.
Please submit the form and we will be in touch shortly!