About English Institute
Discover HCC’s Intensive English Program
You have a goal: to earn a degree in the U.S. that will be recognized worldwide, to advance in your profession, or to experience the growth that comes from learning a language while being immersed in a new culture. The EI is here to serve you. English as a second language courses are the first step to achieving your goal.
HCC is certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) to issue the Form I-20 that is needed to apply for the F1 student visa or status to study English in the USA.
Columbia, Maryland – a suburban community centrally located within 30 miles of Baltimore & Washington, D.C. Columbia is regularly ranked a “Best Place to Live” from reputable sources including Money magazine.
Main Campus Address: 10901 Little Patuxent Parkway, Columbia, Maryland 21044
EI Phone Number:
EI by the Numbers
- Founded in 2001
- Student to faculty ratio of 15: 1
- Average class size: 15
- 11 full-time employees
- 220 EI students enrolled in fiscal year 2016 (individual students enrolled Summer 2015, Fall 2015, Spring 2016, or Summer 2016)
- 27% of EI students transferred to undergraduate and graduate degree programs in fiscal year 2016
- Average age of EI student in fiscal year 2016: 26 years old
- 10 student activities held on campus per semester
- 45 different countries represented by student body in fiscal year 2016
Degrees & Certificates at HCC
- Associate of arts: two years, transfers to four-year program
- Associate in applied science: two years, leads to employment
- Associate of arts in teaching: two years, transfers to four-year program
- Associate of science in engineering: two years, transfers to four-year program
- Certificate of proficiency: one year, leads to employment
- Letter of recognition: set of courses to enhance skills
Number of Nearby Four-Year Colleges & Universities in the Area
14 public, 22 private
Intercollegiate Athletics Teams (HCC Dragons)
- Cross Country
- Men’s & Women’s Soccer
- Women’s Volleyball
- Men’s & Women’s Basketball
- Men’s & Women’s Lacrosse
- Track & Field
Why Choose EI?
- Experienced faculty: 80% have master’s degrees or Ph.Ds.
- Friendly advising team to answer your questions and assist with your transition to life in the USA
- Exciting activities, including trips to New York City and Washington, D.C.
- Certificates offered for completion of level, completion of program, and business and professional program
- Bridge classes
- Scholarships available
- Exchanges: The EI hosts exchange students from AFS-USA and the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange Program
- Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award (MBNQA), The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) of the U.S. Department of Commerce, 2019.
- Best Community College of Maryland, The Daily Record, 2019.
- Best Two-Year Colleges for Adult Learners, Washington Monthly, 2018, 2017, 2016.
- Digital Community Colleges National Survey Winner, Center for Digital Education, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007.
- National Exemplary Program Award, National Council for Continued Education & Training, 2014.
- NAFSA Internationalizing the Campus Award, 2005.
- Outstanding Program in English, Two-Year College Association, 2003.
Tuition & Fees Per Semester
International Residency Estimated Cost for One Semester
Tuition and fees for international students for Spring and Fall is $3,140. Tuition and fees for international students for Summer is $2,900 for new students (returning students pay In-County or Out-of-County tuition rates for Summer classes because they are not required to enroll in classes during the Summer term).
Further explanation of costs: Each EI class is assigned a number of units based on classroom contact hours. Most classes are three units each. EI students enroll in a minimum of 12 units in a semester (normally four classes). The cost per unit is $255 (for Spring and Fall), so tuition and fees may exceed $3,140 if a student chooses to enroll in more than 12 units.
In-County and Out-of-County Residency Estimated Cost for One Semester (Spring or Fall)
Class Level Cost 1 $900-$920 ($190-$210 per class, plus $80 activity fee) 2 $900-$920 ($190-$210 per class, plus $80 activity fee) 3 $1,010-$1,040 ($210-$240 per class, plus $80 activity fee) 4 $1,070-$1,524 ($210-$452 per class, plus $80 activity fee) 5 $1,190-$1,864 ($260-$452 per class, plus $80 activity fee)
Out-of-county residents pay an additional $10 fee per class.
- Spring (15 weeks; late January – early May)
- Summer (10 weeks; early May – early August)
- Fall (15 weeks; late August – mid-December)
- Five levels: beginning (level 1) to advanced (level 5)
- ESL courses include: grammar, pronunciation, reading, speaking, spelling, TOEFL preparation, vocabulary, writing, and specialized skills like English for business purposes
Hi! We would be happy to share more information about the English Institute.
Please submit the form and we will be in touch shortly!