Take the ACTFL Proficiency Test Here
The ELC is a certified proctoring center, offering flexible scheduling options, for the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) proficiency test.
What is the ACTFL test?
American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) proficiency tests are used worldwide by academic institutions, government agencies and private corporations for purposes such as:
- Academic placement
- Student assessment
- Program evaluation
- Professional certification
- Promotional qualification
Teacher certification boards in more than 20 states require evidence of spoken and/or written language competency as demonstrated through official ACTFL ratings.
How to Set Up Testing
To schedule for an appointment, please contact Ms. Chuni Wang at CWang@howardcc.edu and provide the following information in your email:
- Your full name
- Your contact number
- Type of test(s) you want to take (i.e. Oral Proficiency Interview by Computer [OPIc] or Writing Proficiency Test by Computer [iWPT internet-base])
- Language you are testing in
- Purpose of taking the test (i.e. Apply for teaching program or MD Teaching Certification)
Cost of Testing
- Oral Proficiency Interview by Computer (OPIc): $150/test ($70 test fee+$80 proctoring fee). Test takes 40 minutes to complete.
- Writing Proficiency Test by Computer (iWPT): $150/test ($70 test fee+$80 proctoring fee). Test takes 90 minutes to complete.
- Reading Proficiency Test (RPT): $100/test ($30 test fee+$70 proctoring fee). Test takes 50 minutes to complete.
- Listening Proficiency Test (LPT): $100/test ($30 test fee+$70 proctoring fee). Test takes 50 minutes to complete.
Test Times & Location
You must arrive 15 minutes before the start time of the test.
- Mondays-Thursdays, 2pm-4:30pm
- Fridays, 9am-12pm
Howard Community College
English Language Center
10901 Little Patuxent Parkway
Hickory Ridge Building, Room 200
Columbia, MD 21044
Free parking can be found in the West Garage. View Campus Map for more details.
What You Need to Bring for Testing
What You Need to Bring
- Payment on the day of testing (see cost above). Credit card or cash accepted. All payments are non-refundable.
- A photo ID for identification verification.
What You’re Not Allowed to Bring
- Cell Phones & Smart Devices
- Recording Equipment
Certified ratings are available within five business days. iWPT ratings are available within 10 business days.
Your certificate will be emailed when the test result is available.
Hi! We would be happy to share more information about the English Language Center.
Please submit the form and we will be in touch shortly!