Reading and English for Academic Challenges (REACH)
Learn essential reading, writing and study skills to prepare for developmental English classes.
Reading and English for Academic Challenges (REACH) is a noncredit program offered through the Division of Continuing Education & Workforce Development at Howard Community College.
In REACH, students learn essential reading, writing, and study skills in preparation for entering into credit English classes. Through individualized and group instruction students build academic skills that include:
- Vocabulary development,
- Reading comprehension and academic writing, which includes sentence structure, grammar, and punctuation.
The class meets Monday through Friday for 15 hours per week. Students are expected to attend a free tutoring hour at least once a week.
Satisfactory completion of REACH is based upon achieving a “C” (70%) and passing all final exams. This achievement will enable students to enroll in developmental English class, ENGL 093 and /or ENGL 094/097, at Howard Community College. This course does not transfer to a four-year college or university. This course also does not count towards graduation requirements.
- Locating information
- Recalling details
- Identifying topics
- Locating main ideas
- Distinguishing between fact and opinion
- Organizing information using outlines and graphic organizers
- Summarizing information
- Making inferences
- Prefixes, roots, and suffixes
- Learning a prescribed set of words
- Using context clues to define words
- Using decoding skills to unlock unknown words
- Applying syllabication rules
- Using the dictionary
- Identifying parts of speech
- Using correct punctuation
- Using correct grammar
- Writing complete sentences
- Developing outlines and graphic organizers
- Developing proofreading skills
- Using the computer as a writing tool
- Writing basic paragraphs
- Identifying skills and strategies in time management
- Learning preferences
- Test-taking and communication
Students will also identify HCC student resources, do career exploration, and attain knowledge of college-specific terminology.
How to Register
Students are required to take the English Placement Test through the Office of Admissions and Advising. Interested students should contact the Office of Admissions and Advising at 443-518-4856.
More Information About REACH
Please call 443-518-1700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.