Study Abroad FAQ
What is the difference between Travel Study Abroad, Virtual Study Abroad and COIL?
- Travel study abroad takes place outside of Maryland. Students must apply separately for travel study abroad. The application deadline is generally in November. There are additional fees and scholarship offerings for travel study abroad. Upcoming programs can be found here (link to programs).
- Virtual Study Abroad takes aspects of traditional study abroad programs and transforms them so that students can have these experiences right here at HCC. There are no additional fees for virtual study abroad and students just need to enroll in the course to participate. Upcoming virtual study abroad courses can be found here.
- COIL (Collaborative Online International Learning) courses will include an online global interactive project with students from one of HCC's international partners. COIl courses can help students develop global perspectives and intercultural competences.
What are the requirements for travel study abroad?
Students must be 18 years of age or older by the study abroad program start date, enrolled as an HCC student (credit or continuing education), and be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the College.
What are the requirements for virtual study abroad or COIL?Students need to meet any normal course prerequisites and simply register for the course. There are no age restrictions, special applications, or additional fees beyond tuition.
How much does it cost to participate in travel study abroad?
Students studying for credit will pay for four credits of tuition (one-credit SABR course and the three-credit academic course) and the study abroad program fee. The study abroad program fee includes the flight, in-country transportation, some meals, and site visits. If a student opts to not take the course for credit they will only be required to pay the study abroad program fee.
What is the required Study Abroad 101 webinar?
Interested travel study abroad participants must watch the Study Abroad 101 webinar before they can apply for a travel study abroad program. In the webinar, we discuss general information about all HCC study abroad and international programs, how to apply for travel study abroad, available scholarships for travel study abroad, and resources available for preparation and planning. You can view the website after visiting the Travel Study Abroad application link.
How do I apply to a travel study abroad program?
In order to apply for a study abroad program, students are required to watch the Study Abroad 101 webinar and complete an online application by the deadline, which is typically mid-November. The webinar and application link can be found HERE.
Students must also pay a $300 non-refundable deposit by the study abroad application deadline. Details are included in the online study abroad application.
If a student needs assistance with their application, they may arrange an appointment with the International Education Program Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Are there resources relating to diversity and study abroad?
Absolutely! Below are some of the resources we currently have available via pdf and in the online travel study abroad application. Please reach out to set up a meeting with the Program Coordinator (email@example.com) in chat about the resources and get help planning for your time abroad.
- First-Generation Students
- Woman Abroad
- LGBTQ+ Students
- Race and Ethnicities
- Students with disabilities