Honors programs at HCC emphasize rigorous academic coursework alongside opportunities like study abroad, faculty-led research, service learning, and career development, which help to prepare honors students for career success as well as transfer to many of the nation’s most prestigious colleges and universities.
Students in the Rouse Scholars and Schoenbrodt Scholars honors programs may also be invited to join national honors societies such as HCC’s chapter of Phi Theta Kappa.
The James W. Rouse Scholars
This program is designed for graduating high school seniors. With a cohort of other Rouse Scholars, you will progress together through a four-semester sequence of seminars emphasizing academic research, civic and community engagement, and leadership development.
The Frederick K. Schoenbrodt Scholars
This program combines challenging honors courses with independent, faculty-supervised projects in order to provide a flexible honors experience. Graduating high school seniors and currently enrolled HCC students, both full- and part-time, are eligible to apply. You will benefit from opportunities for research, community and civic engagement, and leadership development.
Steps to Apply
For Current High School Students
The application for Fall 2020 will be available on Sept. 1st,2019
- Complete and submit the Honors Application for Admission.
- Turn in your $25 application fee (waived for HCC JumpStart (formerly Early Entrance) students and students with demonstrated financial need).
- Submit your official high school transcript.
- Submit SAT or ACT scores (optional).
- Complete our Additional Information Form/Resume.
- Complete the following with your honors application:
- Essay submitted with application
- Teacher/Counselor recommendations (two are required)
- Official Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate or SAT/ACT scores (optional)
All supplemental application materials should be submitted to:Office of Admissions and Advising
Howard Community College
ATTN: Honors Program
10901 Little Patuxent Parkway
Columbia, MD 21044
*Academic performance and challenging coursework are the strongest factors for admission. In certain circumstances, consideration will be given to students for whom traditional indicators of academic excellence are not always valid. For some cases, students may be asked to come in to take the college's placement exam.
For Current HCC Students (Schoenbrodt Scholars only)
HCC students with fewer than 19 college-level credit hours completed and a minimum college-level GPA of 3.2 or higher may apply to the Schoenbrodt Scholars Program by completing and submitting this online Current Student Schoenbrodt Application. For more information, contact the assistant director of honors at 443-518-4012.
Dates & Deadlines
- December 1st, 2018- Priority Application Deadline
- January 15th, 2019- Notification of Priority Applicants
- March 1st, 2019- Regular Application Deadline
- April 1st, 2019- Notification of Regular Applicants
- May 1st, 2019- Candidate Reply Deadline
HCC’s honors programs have an extensive history of preparing students for continued study beyond HCC. Among the colleges and universities that have accepted honors graduates are:
- American University
- Bennington College
- Boston College
- Boston University
- Catholic University
- Notre Dame of Maryland University
- Corcoran College of Art & Design
- Dickinson College
- Flagler College
- Florida State University
- Fordham University
- Frostburg State University
- The George Washington University
- Georgetown University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Howard University
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- James Madison University
- The Johns Hopkins University
- Loyola University Maryland
- Mt. Holyoke College
- Mount St. Mary's University
- Northeastern University
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Rhode Island School of Design
- Salisbury University
- Ringling School of Art & Design
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- San Francisco State University
- Savannah College of Art and Design
- Shippensburg University
- Smith College
- St. Mary's College of Maryland
- Syracuse University
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- University of Charleston
- University of Delaware
- University of Hawaii, Manoa
- University of Maryland Baltimore County Honors Program
- University of Maryland College Park
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of South Florida
- University of Vermont
- University of Virginia
- University of Washington
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Washington College
- Washington University at St. Louis
- Wentworth Institute
- Western Kentucky University
- Yale University