Service Learning would not be possible without outstanding, mutually beneficial partnerships with non-profit, education, and government organizations.
(Students - please note if you are seeking a placement, you should check your Service Learning Canvas page for a list of approved sites for your course. This is an all-inclusive list and should NOT be used to select a partner to serve with for the semester.)
The Center for Service Learning would like to thank and celebrate its many community partners:
- American Cancer Society - Hope Lodge
- American Red Cross - Greater Chesapeake and Potomac Blood Services Region
- The ARC of Howard County
- Athelas Institute
- Baltimore Community ToolBank
- Baltimore Station
- Baltimore Teacher Supply Swap
- Blue Water Baltimore
- Bridges to Housing Stability, Inc.
- Burleigh Manor Animal Sanctuary and Eco-Retreat
- Center for Social Change, Inc.
- Center of Help, Inc.
- Children's Learning Center at HCC
- Columbia Archives
- Columbia Community Care
- Community Action Council of Howard County
- Community Garden
- Food Bank
- Head Start
- Community Garden at HCC
- The C.O.R.E. Program at HCC
- Days End Farm Horse Rescue
- The English Language Center at HCC
- Esperanza Center
- FIRN - Resources for the Foreign Born
- Franciscan Center
- Gentle Giants Draft Horse Rescue
- Girl Scouts of Central Maryland
- Girls on the Run of Central Maryland
- Guilford Elementary School/Bridges Program
- Hammond Middle School
- Healthy Families Howard County
- HopeWorks Howard County
- Howard County Conservancy
- Howard County Department of Recreation and Parks
- Howard County Office of Community Sustainability
- Howard County Office on Aging & Independence
- Howard County Public Schools - Health Services
- Howard EcoWorks
- Junior Achievement of Central Maryland
- Lake Elkhorn Middle School - Mentoring & Tutoring Programs
- Leaders of Tomorrow Youth Center
- LeCheval Stable TR
- Long Reach High School
- Manna House
- March of Dimes
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Wildlife Heritage Service, Natural Heritage Program
- Maryland Food Bank
- Meade Middle School
- Meals on Wheels of Central Maryland
- Misler Adult Day Center
- Mountain Manor
- Moveable Feast
- My Sister's Place
- On Our Own of Howard County
- Our Daily Bread - Employment Center
- Parks and People
- Patapsco Heritage Greenway
- The Pearlstone Center
- Piney Run Nature Center
- Real Food Farm
- Robinson Nature Center
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of Baltimore
- The Salvation Army - Howard County Family Service Center
- The Samaritan Women
- SERRV International
- Special Olympics Howard County
- Stevens Forest Elementary School/Bridges Program
- Success in Style
- Sustainability at HCC
- Swansfield Elementary School PTA
- Talbott Springs Elementary School/Bridges Program
- Therapeutic & Recreational Riding Center
- Triadelphia Ridge Elementary School
- Way Station, Inc.
- We Promote Health
- The Wellness Center at HCC
- Wilde Lake High School - Teen Parent Program
- Winter Growth, Inc.
- Youth and Teen Center at the Barn
Become a Partner
Are you interested in hosting student volunteers at your non-profit, education, or government organization?
The Center for Service Learning is always looking for new partners who routinely have meaningful volunteer opportunities for students during the primary months of the spring (February - April) and fall (September - November) academic semesters.
Hosting student volunteers has multiple benefits for your organization as it provides:
- Short-term volunteers to meet community needs
- Potential long-term volunteers
- Potential recruits for agency employment
- Increased community awareness of programs
Contact us for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
How it Works
How do community organizations collaborate with the service learning program?
Each semester, the Center for Service Learning partners with faculty members across college departments in order to engage students in meaningful volunteer service experiences connected to their course curriculum. Community partnerships with non-profit, education, and government organizations are established with a specific course connection in mind. As a result, the needs of organizations must align with the academic semester timeline and courses with which the Center is working.
Community Partnerships - Quick Reference:
- Approximately 25 course sections offer a required or optional service learning component each semester.
- Students enrolled in these courses complete between 2 and 15 hours of service on average.
- Course integration models vary among classes. Some classes partner with a single organization for a special project, while other classes allow students to choose a site (from an approved list) with which to pursue a placement and complete a designated number of service hours.
For more information about working with students who pursue a placement with an organization from a list of pre-approved site options, review "How Service Learning Works at HCC."
For more information about working with students enrolled in our Nursing education program, review "Working with HCC Nursing Service Learning Students."
Service Learning Partnering Site Agreement
Partnering organizations are asked to complete a Service Learning Partnering Site Agreement prior to hosting student volunteers. Please email us to request a copy of this form and discuss partnership opportunities.
Service Learning Student Evaluation
At the completion of a student's service learning placement, partnering organizations are invited to complete a student evaluation in order to provide the Center for Service Learning and their instructor with feedback about the student's performance. Click here to complete this evaluation online.
Service Learning Agency Directory Listing
In order to provide our students with the most up-to-date information about organizations and their volunteer opportunities, the Center for Service Learning regularly requests information updates. To update the information we have on file for your organization, please email us to request a copy of your current listing or complete a new directory listing template.