HCC's Surgical Technologist apprenticeship program is designed to give aspiring healthcare professionals the foundational knowledge and skills needed to work in a hospital operating room environment. Apprentices will assist in operating room set-up, preparation and transportation of surgical patients, and clinical assistance during surgical cases, working in collaboration with surgeons and nurses.
Key roles and responsibilities might include adjusting lighting and operating room equipment prior to and during cases, securing and handing off surgical instrumentation, positioning and holding retractors, cutting sutures, and taking inventory of supplies prior to and at the closure of operative cases. Apprentices will complete 40 on-the-job training work competencies over the course of 13–18 months.
Upon successful completion, apprentices will be eligible to receive the nationally recognized Surgical Technologist certificate through the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT).
Requirements for Admission
Standard requirements for admission are:
- Be 18 years of age or older by the program start date.
- Earned high school diploma or GED.
- Ability to meet physical job requirements.
- Have a valid driver's license and/or reliable transportation.
- Ability to pass an employer background check & drug screening.
- Completion of Math and English skills assessment.
- Successful completion of pre-requisite coursework, Introduction to Medical Terminology and Body Systems.
The Surgical Technologist Apprenticeship program is open to prospective and current HCC students, as well as professionals currently working in the healthcare industry who are interested in opportunities for growth. Please send an email to email@example.com for more information.
Eager to Take the First Step?
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and contact information.
- Gather required documents (HS diploma/GED/transcripts and resume).
- Register for the pre-requisite apprenticeship course you are required to complete before your apprenticeship program start date.
- Schedule placement testing with HCC.
- Prepare for interviews with prospective employers, who will want to know what inspired your interest in this program, your career goals, and why you should be considered a strong candidate for consideration.
Ready to Learn More?
Need more information? Prospective students and businesses, please send an email to email@example.com.
Thank you for requesting more information about our apprenticeship programs.
Please submit the form and we will be in touch shortly!