Software Development Apprenticeship
Eager to pursue a career where coding software and managing databases is part of the everyday scope of work? HCC’s Software Development Apprenticeship Program is designed to give you the jumpstart you need for long-term success.
Over a period of two years, software development apprentices complete a series of both credit and non-credit courses at HCC, while pursuing 3,000 hours of paid field work in tandem. Apprentices are hired to serve as software developers, who apply computer science and coding skills to design or modify software and applications; computer system engineers, who facilitate workflows between developers, engineers, and clients; and data warehousing specialists, who develop data storage and processing solutions, and analyze and extract data to support data warehousing. By graduation, apprentices will have also earned at least two Microsoft Certified Professional Certifications for MS Azure.
Watch our 42-second video overviewing the Software Development Apprenticeship Program.
Requirements for Admission
Applications are available in spring for the cohort scheduled to start during the fall semester. Standard requirements for admission are:
- Be 18 years of age or older by the program start date.
- Eligible for employment in the U.S.
- Earned a high school diploma or GED, or be a dual-enrolled high school senior.
- Have a driver’s license or state-issued ID card.
- Have reliable transportation.
- Completed or be currently enrolled in MATH-181
- (Calculus I) and ENGL-121 (College Composition), or non-HCC equivalent courses (both are prerequisites of CMSY-141).
- Not have exceeded 50 percent of the program’s curriculum via foundational and track-specific coursework, prior to admission.
- Complete an initial program screening and employment interview.
The Software Development Apprenticeship Program is open to prospective and current HCC students.
Eager to Take the First Step?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to express initial interest in this program and confirm if HCC is accepting applications for the upcoming semester/academic year. Please note, applications for this program are accepted on a limited basis and this confirmation should take place before any prospective students proceed with further steps.
If you are a current high school student who is interested in participating in the HCPSS Apprenticeship Maryland Academy during your senior year, click here.
- Discuss your interest in participating in an apprenticeship and review requirements for the program with your parent/guardian.
- Meet with the HCPSS Apprenticeship Maryland Coordinator to discuss opportunities and next steps for enrollment during your senior year.
- Interview with local eligible employers, to be considered for a position that aligns with your interests and career goals.
If you are a current Howard County Public School System student who is participating in the Computer Programming Career Academy, click here.
- Meet with your school counselor and Career Academy teacher to discuss your career goals and post-secondary plans.
If you are a recent high school graduate, click here.
- Send an email to email@example.com to express initial interest in this program and confirm if HCC is accepting applications for the upcoming semester/academic year. Please note, applications for this program are accepted on a limited basis and this confirmation should take place before any prospective students proceed with further steps.
- Complete MATH-181 and ENGL-121, or equivalent courses taken at other institutions.
- Apply for admission to HCC.
- Upon acceptance, apply to HCC’s Software Development Apprenticeship
- Program and submit required documentation.
- Prepare for interviews with both HCC and prospective employers, who will want to know what inspired your interest in this program, your career goals, and why you should be considered a strong candidate for consideration.
If you are current HCC student, click here.
- Complete MATH-181 and ENGL-121.
- Apply to HCC’s Software Development Apprenticeship Program and submit required documentation.
- Prepare for interviews with both HCC and prospective employers who will want to know what inspired your interest in this program, your career goals, and why you should be considered a strong candidate for consideration.
“Live with Cris” spotlights programs and stories that are important to the HCC community. Click below to watch a segment about the Software Development program.
Ready to Learn More?
Thank you for requesting more information about our apprenticeship programs.
Please submit the form and we will be in touch shortly!