Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration (HVACR) Apprenticeship
The demand for professionals who are trained to install, maintain, and repair heating and cooling systems is constant and rapidly growing. HCC’s HVACR Apprenticeship Program is designed to cultivate the next generation of skilled technicians to work in the heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration industry – in both residential and commercial environments. Apprentices acquire a diverse skill set, learning how to insulate refrigerant lines, clean furnaces, cut and solder pipes, and maintain and repair electrical circuits.
Working in partnership with Heating and Air Conditioning Contractors of Maryland (HACCMD), students enrolled in HCC’s HVACR Apprenticeship Program complete a total of 8,000 hours of paid field work over a period of four years, while completing required coursework at HCC. In tandem, apprentices can pursue Maryland State HVACR journeyman licensure through the State of Maryland’s Apprenticeship and Training Council.
Watch our 35-second video overviewing the Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration (HVACR) Apprenticeship Program.
Requirements for Admission
Heating & Air Conditioning Contractors of MD (HACCMD) begins accepting apprenticeship applications during the summer months for their cohort scheduled to start during the fall semester. Standard requirements for admission are:
- Be 18 years of age or older by the program start date.
- Secure a Maryland State HVACR license through the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation.
- Obtain a physician clearance, with a confirmation that you are physically able to work in the HVACR industry (handwritten note on a prescription pad is sufficient).
- Submit a copy of high school diploma or transcript of last grade completed.
- Submit a copy of driver’s license.
- Provide three (3) letters of recommendation from acquaintances * (one may be from a family member, others should come from teachers, coaches, co-workers, or supervisors).
- Complete all yellow highlighted fields on the State Apprenticeship Agreement (leaving the employer field blank if you are not currently employed by a HVACR contractor).
- Must have a laptop or tablet for coursework (see HCC website for specific operating system and hardware requirements).
Eager to Take the First Step?
If you are a current high school student who is interested in participating in the HCPSS Apprenticeship Maryland Academy during your senior year, click here.
- Discuss your interest in participating in an apprenticeship and review requirements for the program with your parent/guardian.
- Meet with the HCPSS Apprenticeship Maryland Coordinator to discuss opportunities and next steps for enrollment during your senior year.
- Interview with local eligible employers, to be considered for a position that aligns with your interests and career goals.
If you are a current Howard County Public School System student who is participating in the HVAC or Construction Career Academy, click here.
- Meet with your school counselor and Career Academy teacher to discuss your career goals and post-secondary plans.
- Complete a registration form with your selected career academy.
If you are a recent high school graduate or a current HCC student, you should:
- Submit an application on the Heating and Air Conditioning Contractors of Maryland (HACC) website.
- Schedule placement testing if needed.
- Prepare for interviews with both HACCMD and their association members who will want to know what inspired your interest in this program, career goals, and why you should be considered a strong candidate for consideration.
“Live with Cris” spotlights programs and stories that are important to the HCC community. Click below to watch a segment about the Heating & Air Conditioning Apprenticeship program.
Ready to Learn More?
Thank you for requesting more information about our apprenticeship programs.
Please submit the form and we will be in touch shortly!