The need for skilled electricians is on the rise. In fact, a report from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts the demand for skilled technicians could increase by as much as 20 percent in the near term. HCC provides students an opportunity to gain the skills needed for success through its comprehensive Electrical Apprenticeship Program.
The four-year experience is facilitated in partnership with Independent Electrical Contractors (IEC) Chesapeake, recognized as the Mid-Atlantic Region’s premier electrical and renewable energy contractor association. Apprentices complete a series of courses, concentrating on electrical theory, equipment, and safety protocols, for use in both commercial and residential environments. While completing coursework, students also work full-time as electricians in partnership with local employers.
IEC Chesapeake’s Electrical Apprenticeship Program is recognized by the Apprenticeship and Training Program Councils in Maryland, Virginia, Washington, D.C., West Virginia, and the U.S. Department of Labor.
Watch our 38-second video overviewing the Electrical Apprenticeship Program.
Requirements for Admission
Applications are accepted on an on-going basis for cohorts scheduled to start during the fall semester. Standard requirements for admission are:
- Have a driver’s license.
- Earned a high school diploma or GED, or be a dual-enrolled high school senior.
- Have a letter of recommendation (non-family member).
- Successfully complete a 10-hour OSHA training course.
- Complete a screening interview, including a math and reading evaluation conducted by IEC Chesapeake.
- Pass a pre-employment drug screening.
Eager to Take the First Step?
Are you looking to improve your electrical skills before becoming an Electrical Apprentice? HCC’s Pre-Apprenticeship Electrical Program offers foundational courses in the electrical trades. Learn More.
If you are a current high school student who is interested in participating in the HCPSS Apprenticeship Maryland Academy during your senior year, click here.
- Discuss your interest in participating in an apprenticeship and review requirements for the program with your parent/guardian.
- Meet with the HCPSS Apprenticeship Maryland Coordinator to discuss opportunities and next steps for enrollment during your senior year.
- Interview with local eligible employers, to be considered for a position that aligns with your interests and career goals.
If you are a current Howard County Public School System student who is participating in the Construction, Systems and Project Engineering or Project Lead the Way Career Academy, click here.
- Meet with your school counselor and Career Academy teacher to discuss your career goals and post-secondary plans.
If you are a recent high school graduate or a current HCC student that has completed an OSHA 10-hour training, click here.
- Complete and submit an apprenticeship application with IEC Chesapeake for their four-year Electrical Apprenticeship.
- Prepare for an appointment with IEC Chesapeake to complete a screening interview, including a math and reading evaluation.
- Await scheduling of an interview with the HCC Apprenticeship Committee.
“Live with Cris” spotlights programs and stories that are important to the HCC community. Click below to watch a segment about the Electrical Apprenticeship program.
Ready to Learn More?
Thank you for requesting more information about our apprenticeship programs.
Please submit the form and we will be in touch shortly!