HCC's Radiologic Technology associate career degree prepares graduates as entry-level radiographers in hospitals, medical and specialty offices, imaging centers, clinics, and other health care agencies or related corporations. Students develop knowledge and skills in patient care, radiographic procedures, radiation protection, and radiographic and fluoroscopic equipment manipulation and operation.
The mission of the Howard Community College, Radiologic Technology Program is to recruit, educate, and prepare clinically competent students to become entry level radiographers.
At the end of the radiologic science program, the students will be able to:
- Practice as a clinically competent entry-level technologist.
- Display strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate communication skills in a healthcare setting.
- Conduct their duties in an ethical and professional manner with clear understanding of cultural diversity and healthcare access inequity.
- Display proficiency in digital imaging skills.
To foster continuous program improvement, the Radiologic Technology program shares Program Effectiveness data with communities of interest. The Program Effectiveness report is a compilation of information on Credentialing Examination Pass Rate, Job Placement Rate, Program Completion Rate, and Annual Completion Rate. Moreover, the program shares the most UpToDate Student Learning Outcome Assessment Plan with communities of interest and the public. Prospective students are highly encouraged to attend the info sessions held twice a year. Admission steps may be accessed at the following link - Admission Steps .
Radiologic Technology Program Information
The program is accredited by The Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT) and complies with required Standards for Accreditation in Radiography, which may be accessed via JRCERT website. The current accreditation award was granted on April 25, 2014, for 8 years period. The contact information for the JRCERT is as follows:
Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology
20 N. Wacker Drive, Suite 2850
Chicago, IL 60606-3182
312.704.5300 (Fax) 312.704.5304
Clinical sites and distance from HCC
- AAM - Advanced Radiology, Arundel Mills, Address: 7556 Teague Rd Ste. 200, Hanover, MD 21076 (15.5 miles)
- AM – Advanced Radiology, Millersville (Shipley’s Choice), Address: 8601 Veterans Hwy Suite 100, Millersville, MD 21108 (22.9 miles)
- AEC - Advanced Radiology, Ellicott City, Address: 4801 Dorsey Hall Dr #101, Ellicott City, MD 21042 (6.1 miles)
- AKN – Advanced Radiology, Knoll North, Address: 5500 Knoll North Drive, Suite 190, Columbia, MD 21045 (4.4 miles)
- GMC – Grace Medical Center, Address: 2000 W Baltimore St, Baltimore, MD 21223 (21.3 miles)
- Bowie – UM Bowie Health Center, Address: 15001 Health Center Dr, Bowie, MD 20716 (26.8 miles)
- HCGH - Howard County General Hospital, Address: 5755 Cedar Ln, Columbia, MD 21044 (0.6 mile)
- JHI - Johns Hopkins Imaging, Address: 11055 Little Patuxent Pkwy, Columbia, MD 21044 (0.5 mile)
- HUH - Howard University Hospital, Address: 2041 Georgia Ave NW, Washington, DC 20059 (31.6 miles)
- PFC - Patient First- Columbia, Address: 5900 Cedar Ln, Columbia, MD 21044 (0.5 mile)
- PFOM - Patient First – Owings Mills, Address: 10210 Reisterstown Rd, Owings Mills, MD 21117 (20.6 miles)
- CAP – UM Capital Region Medical Center (Formerly PG), 901 Harry S. Truman Drive, North Largo, MD 20774 (28.8 miles)
- UMROI – University of MD Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute, Address: 2200 Kernan Dr, Gwynn Oak, MD 21207 (16.6 miles)
- VADC – Washington DC VA Medical Center, Address: 50 Irving St NW, Washington, DC 20422 (26.3 miles)
In addition to the Radiography degree, the program offers post primary certification courses in Magnetic resonance Imaging (MRI) and Computed Tomography (CT) in collaboration with Continuing Education.
Student clinical educational experiences are provided at clinical sites in the Maryland and Washington, DC region, and graduates are provided content necessary for eligibility to apply for the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists certification examination