Affordable pathways to enter and succeed in this century's technology-based workforce.
Looking to dig for digital evidence with Cyber Forensics, protect digital assets with Cybersecurity, or maybe design the next bestselling app? Whatever your dreams, we can help you get there from here.
Whether you’re a recent high school graduate or not-so-recent computer science major, a mid-career cyber professional or tech-savvy career-changer, HCC’s Cyber Technology instructional area provides accessible pathways for career entry, skill updates and certifications, and transfer for continued study at a four-year school.
HCC is the right choice for a rigorous and nationally-recognized cyber technology education, and here are some reasons why:
- Designation by NSA and the Department of Homeland Security as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cybersecurity Defense, and a National Center of Digital Forensics Academic Excellence by the DoD Cyber Crime Center
- Career programs leading to employment and industry skill certifications
- Associate degree programs meeting general education core requirements and transfer agreements to four-year programs
- State-of-the-art technology and facilities with hands-on lab instruction
- Industry partnerships and resources for experiential learning, including opportunities for extracurricular and cyber competitions
- Expertise of experienced faculty and practicing professionals
- Business and communication skills key to implementing technical solutions
HCC provides multiple program options for cyber technology students to meet their specific end goals, areas of interest, and transfer requirements:
Preparation for Certification Exams
These credit classes will prepare you to sit for specific certification exams. For additional information on HCC credit courses related to CompTIA or Cybersecurity, contact Dr. Ayane at firstname.lastname@example.org or Rose Volynskiy, chair of cyber technology department at email@example.com.
CompTIA (Computing Technology Industry Association) Certification
Certification Skills Gained HCC Credit Courses to Prepare A+ - The CompTIA A+ certification is the starting point for a career in IT.
CompTIA A+ 220-901 and
CompTIA A+ 220-902
The A+ exams cover installation, configuration and maintenance of PCs, mobile devices, laptops, operating systems and printers CMSY-105, Managing and Maintaining PCs and Mobile Devices I
CMSY-106, Managing and Maintaining PCs and Mobile Devices II
The Network+ exam covers network technologies, installation and configuration, media and topologies, management, and security. CMSY-158, Fundamentals and Practice for Network+ Certification
The Security+ exam covers the important foundational principles for securing a network and managing risk. Access control, identity management and cryptography are topics on the exam; selection of appropriate mitigation and deterrent techniques to address network attacks and vulnerabilities are also covered. CMSY-162, Introduction to Network Security
As a benefit of membership in CompTIA, HCC offers vouchers for the above exams at a discounted price. Purchase at HCC Cashier.
Visit CompTIA for information on certifications.
For information on the IT job market, skills assessment and other valuable information, visit the CompTIA Tech Career Roadmap
Certified Ethical Hacker Certification
Certification Skills Gained HCC Credit Courses to Prepare CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker 312-50
Validates the knowledge of scanning, testing, hacking and securing computer systems and networks. CMSY-263, Ethical Hacking and Cyber Defense
Certification Skills Gained HCC Credit Courses to Prepare
Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA)
Validates fundamental technology skills and knowledge in three primary areas: Developer, Database, and IT Professional.
CMSY 105 Managing and Maintaining PCs and Mobile Devices I
CMSY 106 Managing and Maintaining PCs and Mobile Devices II
CMSY 128 Introduction to HTML
CMSY 156 Introduction to Python
CMSY 162 Intro to Network Security Systems
CMSY 166 Java I
CMSY 167 Java II
CMSY 168 Developing for the Web
CMSY 219 Operating Systems
Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS)
Demonstrates ability to command the full features and functionality of Microsoft Office.
CMSY 101 Beginning Spreadsheets (Excel 2016)
CMSY 102 Beginning Word Processing (Word 2016)
CMSY 103 Beginning Databases (Access 2016)
CMSY 104 Advanced Word Processing (Word 2016)
CMSY 110 Software Applications (MS Office 2016)
CMSY 116 Digital Presentations (PowerPoint 2016)
CMSY 117 Advanced Spreadsheets (Excel 2016)
CMSY 118 Advanced Databases (Access 2016)
CMSY 127 Microsoft Outlook 2016
As a benefit of the Free Certiport Test Voucher and GMetrics Practice Software grant, HCC is offering Microsoft Office Specialist/Expert (MOS) and Microsoft Technical Associate (MTA) test vouchers for students who are currently taking or have recently taken any of the aligned courses listed above.
Contact Cindy Garnsey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Students must pay a $30 proctoring fee per exam; exams must be taken at the HCC Testing Center (RCF359). Vouchers expire August 24th, 2020. Limited supply of vouchers will be distributed.
Resources for Cyber Students
1. The National CyberWatch Center
2. NSA opportunities for internships, scholarships and summer programs
3. National Initiative For Cybersecurity Education (NICE)
4. DoD Cyber Exchange - STIGs
6. National Cyber League
7. Join the Cyber Dragons Club! Contact Tom Logue or Joel Offenberg in Canvas, or email them at email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE)
9. Maryland Cybersecurity Asset Map
10. SANS Security Awareness
11. Hack the Box
12. Over the Wire
13. DHS Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA)
14. National Science Foundation (NSF) Cybersecurity
15. Mid-Atlantic Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition (MACCDC)
16. Capitol Technology University Cyber Security Program (talk to our Faculty if you'd like to transfer to this program)
17. UMUC Cyber Security Program (talk to our Faculty if you'd like to transfer to this program)
18. Cyber Maryland Conference
19. SiteLock Guide to Breaking into Website Security as a Career
Institutional Security Resources and Awareness
HCC's IT policies include:
Tech news and items are posted at:
Cyber Center Points of Contact
Dr. Mengistu Ayane is the Program Coordinator for the Cyber Security Program. He can be reached at email@example.com
Rose Volynskiy is the Chair of the Cyber Department. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Patrick Valdivia is the Manager of Computing and Cyber Lab Services. He can be reached at email@example.com
External Cyber Security News
- Labcorp Data Breach: 7.7 Million Customers Exposed
- NY Investigates Exposure of 885 Million Mortgage Documents
- Marriott faces $123 million GDPR fine for Starwood Data Breach
- 500 million exposed in Marriott Starwood Data Breach
- Cyber attacks cost $45 billion in 2018
- Who is responsible for Cloud Security?
- Quora gets hacked -- 100 million Users' Data Stolen
- Healthcare Security Matters
- Legal Threats Make Powerful Phishing Lures
- Facebook Stored Hundreds of Millions of Passwords in Plaintext
- Fix Your Cloud Security