Affordable pathways to enter and succeed in this century's technology-based workforce.
Whether you’re a recent high school graduate or not-so-recent computer science major, a mid-career cyber professional or tech-savvy career-changer, HCC’s Cyber Technology instructional area provides accessible pathways for career entry, skill updates and certifications, and transfer for continued study at a four-year school.
HCC is the right choice for a rigorous and nationally-recognized cyber technology education, and here are some reasons why:
- Designation by NSA and the Department of Homeland Security as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cybersecurity Defense, and a National Center of Digital Forensics Academic Excellence by the DoD Cyber Crime Center
- Career programs leading to employment and industry skill certifications
- Associate degree programs meeting general education core requirements and transfer agreements to four-year programs
- State-of-the-art technology and facilities with hands-on lab instruction
- Industry partnerships and resources for experiential learning, including opportunities for extracurricular and cyber competitions
- Expertise of experienced faculty and practicing professionals
- Business and communication skills key to implementing technical solutions
HCC provides multiple program options for cyber technology students to meet their specific end goals, areas of interest, and transfer requirements:
HCC Cyber Technology News
- Howard Community College to Hold Science and Cyber Talks By Professors
- Cyber Programs Open the Door for New Expertise
- Howard Community College Presents “Tipping Point – Equifax Data Breach”
- A New Home for Discovery
- Google Ignite Grant Computer Science Camp Gives Girls Glimpse into Cybersecurity
- Spotlight on Cyber: Pathways to an In-demand Career
- 3D Innovation Hub Visited by Maryland Senators
- The Cyberwire Explores Cybersecurity Education at HCC
- Howard Community College and the Howard Tech Council Embarking on President Obama’s TechHire Community Initiative
- Hacking Done Right: Breaking in for Cybersecurity
In the News
- All kids should have a computer science education
- Take a look inside Howard Community College's new STEM building
- Cyberwire: Exploring Cyber Security Education
- And congratulations to student Stephanie Brice, who was selected from nearly 70 applicants across the United States and Canada to represent their school at Cisco Live this year.
Cyber Technology Events
For upcoming Cyber Technology Events, please check the college calendar.
Prepare for Certification Exams
These credit classes will prepare you to sit for specific certification exams. For additional information on HCC credit courses related to CompTIA or Cybersecurity, contact Dr. Ayane at firstname.lastname@example.org or Rose Volynskiy, chair of cyber technology department at email@example.com.
CompTIA (Computing Technology Industry Association) Certification
Certification Skills Gained HCC Credit Courses to Prepare A+ - The CompTIA A+ certification is the starting point for a career in IT.
CompTIA A+ 220-901 and
CompTIA A+ 220-902
The A+ exams cover installation, configuration and maintenance of PCs, mobile devices, laptops, operating systems and printers CMSY-105, Managing and Maintaining PCs and Mobile Devices I
CMSY-106, Managing and Maintaining PCs and Mobile Devices II
The Network+ exam covers network technologies, installation and configuration, media and topologies, management, and security. CMSY-158, Fundamentals and Practice for Network+ Certification
The Security+ exam covers the important foundational principles for securing a network and managing risk. Access control, identity management and cryptography are topics on the exam; selection of appropriate mitigation and deterrent techniques to address network attacks and vulnerabilities are also covered. CMSY-162, Introduction to Network Security
As a benefit of membership in CompTIA, HCC offers vouchers for the above exams at a discounted price. Purchase at HCC Cashier.
For more information on CompTIA certifications, visit http://www.comptia.org.
For information on the IT job market, skills assessment and other valuable information, visit the CompTIA Tech Career Compass site: http://tcc.comptia.org/
Certified Ethical Hacker Certification
Certification Skills Gained HCC Credit Courses to Prepare CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker 312-50
Validates the knowledge of scanning, testing, hacking and securing computer systems and networks. CMSY-263, Ethical Hacking and Cyber Defense
Resources for Cyber Students1. The National CyberWatch Center
2. NSA opportunities for internships, scholarships and summer programs
3. National Initiative For CYBERSECURITY Education (NICE)