No matter your age, abilities, or background, HCC is a sound choice to study and create music for a lifetime.
Whether you're interested in music education, history, performance, or even music technology, start by checking out one of our fast-growing music programs at HCC. The Music Department has earned a reputation in the local and regional music community for excellence, opportunity, and value. Here are some of the reasons why we can help you reach for your dreams:
- Our outstanding faculty are both experienced, caring teachers and accomplished, active musicians.
- We host leading-edge instructional facilities, including soundproof teaching studios, digital music labs, and practice rooms with virtual venue acoustics from cathedrals to arenas.
- We offer live performance experiences in student ensemble or spotlight concerts on campus in the acoustically-engineered 119-seat Monteabaro Recital Hall of the Horowitz Visual and Performing Arts Center, in college theatre productions, or off-campus orchestras and competitions.
- You can enjoy immersive opportunities for learning and networking with professional musicians through the department's Music Concert Series featuring performances and master classes from internationally-acclaimed guest artists, an extensive schedule of faculty concerts, and community partners.
- Our curriculum is designed for transfer to a bachelor's degree or conservatory music program. Many HCC music students have continued their studies at prestigious institutions including Peabody Conservatory, Longy School of Music of Bard College, and the Shenandoah University Conservatory.
- You can participate in The Music Institute, a noncredit community music school for all ages to receive expert instruction from department faculty through private lessons, beginner classes, various ensembles and choirs, and operatic training.
- We are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
For more on the available programs, see the following: