Columbia Festival of the Arts: COLUMBIA FILM FESTIVAL - Film Shorts Schedule - Block II
Some of the hottest new short films are part of the Columbia Film Festival! The following selection of six (8) films [80 mins total running time] are available for an individual ticket to this Film Shorts Schedule - Block II. (Film Festival Season Pass Holders do not need a separate ticket.) Buy a Columbia Film Festival PLATINUM All Film Pass ($55) for the entire three (3) days, June 27-29, 2019. A FRIDAY ALL ACCESS DAY PASS is available for $35, unlimited films (as noted) and events on Friday, June 28th.
- THE PHARAOHS (18 mins) - is a fictional dark comedy about a woman in a senior living facility who is rejected by her former friends--a group of "mean girls"--because of her failing health. Things go from bad to worse as she confronts issues of rejection, bullying and isolation. In the end she makes a fateful decision with uncertain consequences for herself and others.
- IVANKA (8 mins) - Two people go on a date, but are they truly compatible? In our volatile political cllimate, can a couple find true love?!
- WHAT IF (8 mins) What If everything you know was flipped? What If we lived in a nation where whites were the formerly enslaved people and blacks were the majority in power? What If is a short film that examines a routine police stop in this new reality. The film makes you ask yourself if your perceptions change when you ask yourself.....What If?
- GWYR: REFLECTIONS (11 mins) An experienced producer, Vincent De Paul, draws us back to imagine life in Weobley Castle for Sir Rhys ap Thomas and his wife Efa, over 500 years ago. The scenically beautiful film revolves around their true love, its tenacity and survival, rather than the gruesome aspects of war.
- ODYSSEY (3 mins) - Penelope’s rideshare home becomes quite the odyssey as she encounters a panoply of passengers along the way. Life’s journey often plays tricks on us, sending us in a direction then throwing all sorts of obstacles in our way.
HOT QUESTIONS (9 mins) - During a criminal interrogation, the tables are terribly turned. Will a polygraph test reveal the truth and who is the real victim? Starring Washington, DC award winning actor Vince Eisenson who also appears is the comedy short FOUR CORNERS, also part of our Shorts Series!
- THE CHARLES EFFECT (10 mins) Charles Jones is a participant in an experiment to see if people living on the autistic spectrum (neuro-diverse) can use their special gifts to offer alternative solutions to challenges in the medical field. From his perspective, everyone he has not made a personal connection with are seen as children.
- WEDDING SEASON (12 mins) - The dreaded "wedding season" can be a difficult time for many. In a councilor's support group for bridesmaids, six women enact their biggest fears. Will they end up happy just being themselves? Or will society's expectations ruin the party?
- FREE (11.5 mins) - This beautifully filmed and choreographed story is inspired by true events in the early life of Frederick Douglass who was secretly taught to read and write by his master's wife. Using only the air as their blackboard, this random act of kindness provided an education that paved the way from slavery to freedom.
*Please note: The Horowitz Center Box Office DOES NOT reserve/sell tickets for the Columbia Festival of the Arts. Visit https://www.columbiafestival.org/ for ticket sales and other information. Columbia Festival staff will be on-site the day of each event for will/ticket sales.
10475 Little Patuxent Parkway
The Farmhouse at Merriweather
Columbia, MD 21044