Protocol for Employees and Students with Covid-19
Howard Community College is concerned for the health and safety of its campus community. The revised protocol for employees and students who are ill with COVID-19 is based on the latest recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Maryland Department of Health, and the Howard County Health Department (HCHD).
Follow these COVID-19 safety practices:
- Complete a daily health self-assessment.
- Stay home if sick or symptomatic.
- Wear face covering when required.
- Stay up to date with vaccines as able.
- Participate in contract tracing when contacted.
- Employees and students should email HCC’s Emergency Operations Plan committee (EOP) at email@example.com to make inquiries about COVID-19 guidelines or to report of a positive COVID-19 test.
Guidelines, as of September 2022
If you were exposed to COVID-19, regardless of vaccination status:
- Wear a mask as soon as you find out you were exposed. Count day one (1) as the first full day after exposure.
- Wear a high-quality mask (N95 or surgical) for 10 days following exposure.
- If symptoms develop, you should isolate at home immediately and get tested.
- If you do not develop symptoms, get tested at least five (5) full days after exposure.
- If you are negative after the test on day five, continue wearing a mask through day 10 after exposure.
If you tested positive or have symptoms, regardless of vaccination status:
- You MUST isolate at home away from others for five (5) days from when your symptoms first appeared or from when you received your positive test result. Day one is the first full day after symptoms or a positive result.
- If you had no symptoms, you can end isolation after day five.
- If you had symptoms and they are improving, you can end isolation after day five.
- If your symptoms are not improving, continue isolation until you are fever-free or you see improvement.
- If you had symptoms and moderate to severe illness, continue isolation through day 10.
- Continue wearing a mask through day 10 regardless of when you end isolation.
- You do NOT need to be retested unless instructed to do so by a healthcare professional.
- You do NOT need to be tested for up to 90 days unless you become symptomatic.
- At-home PCR test kits are available FREE to HCC students and employees. To receive a kit, pickup the kits at McCuan Hall 258 Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Call 443-518-4542 with questions.
- Testing is free through the Howard County Health Department.
- Vaccinations are free through the Howard County Health Department.
- Report all COVID-19 issues, concerns, and cases to firstname.lastname@example.org.