Important: please review these links if you are ill with Covid-19.
Adjunct, Temporary, or Additional Assignment ContractsAdjunct credit and noncredit contracts issued for payment of wages should be emailed to Human Resources folder, HumanResources@howardcc.edu with Attn: Michele Lewis in the subject line.Temporary and Additional Assignment contracts issued for payment of wages should be emailed to Human Resources folder, HumanResources@howardcc.edu with Attn: Portia Logan in the subject line.
Employee Assistance Program
What resources are available to me via the Employee Assistance Program?
Employee Assistance Program
All full-time staff and faculty, and part-time budget employees can receive support through the employee assistance program (EAP). The EAP is managed through BHS. Resources include guidance on managing anxiety while working remotely and working from home with kids. In addition, BHS is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week If you need to speak with someone, call 800-327-2251.
Aetna and Kaiser
We encourage employees to create online accounts with Aetna or Kaiser to take advantage of telemedicine services, COVID-19-related information and other online services. Visit www.kp.org or www.aetna.com to create an account and/or access online resources. If you do not know your member ID, you can use your SSN to create an account.
Employee Helping Hands Fund
The Employee Helping Hands Fund assists employees with daily living expenses during times of financial need. If you or someone you know at HCC requires this type of monetary assistance, please have them contact members of the human resources office (443-518-1100) to begin the process. Employees may also request assistance by submitting a helping hands fund application form, which is available on the portal, to the office of human resources. All requests are confidential.
Employees eligible to participate include full- and part-time budgeted employees regardless of service time, and adjunct faculty and temporary employees with at least five years of service. Exceptions to the eligibility requirements may only be made with approval from the president or vice president.
Human resources personnel will review the information after receipt of the formal written request. Please be advised that the request may be approved for the amount requested, approved for a different amount, or denied. If approved, a check will be mailed within two to five working days of the request.
Leave Balance and High Risk
What if I am considered at high risk for exposure?
- If you are an employee that is at higher risk for serious illness because of age or a serious long-term health issue and are concerned about your safety, please contact Andrea Black (email@example.com) or Joseph Pettiford (firstname.lastname@example.org) for guidance.
What do I do if I am running out of leave?
- If you are sick or need to care for a sick family member (as defined by the college's Sick and Disability Leave or Absence Procedure 63.08.14) and have exhausted all forms of earned leave (sick, vacation, personal), the college will consider advancing up to 10 days of sick leave. This leave must be repaid when you return to work, over a period of time. If you leave employment prior to repayment, your last paycheck will be adjusted accordingly.
- For approval of advanced sick leave, submit the Leave Request form to Andrea Black at email@example.com. Immediate supervisors may submit an email to Andrea with the request form attached, authorizing such.
Life Events or a Family Member Impact
What if I have a life event or a family member has a loss of a job that impacts me or one of my dependents’ medical coverage?
If you have a life event that impacts your healthcare coverage or that of a family dependent, regardless of household arrangements, immediately contact Human Resources, Natasha Gray, benefits manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for guidance.
What if a person living in the same household is on self-quarantine? Do I have to stay home as well?
Authorized employees whose household is on self-quarantine must stay home. You may use safe/sick leave or telework with your supervisor’s approval. Please refer to the safe/sick leave policy to determine if the member of the household qualifies you for sick leave usage.
The college will advance safe/sick leave, if no accrued leave is available, capped at 10 days for employees who are impacted by an individual living in the immediate household under quarantine (immediate documentation not required). Any advanced leave is repayable to the college as annual and sick leave balances accrue.
Questions? Contact Human Resources at HR@howardcc.edu.
What technology resources are available for working remotely?
- Resources for working remotely.
- If an employee begins teleworking due to circumstances resulting from COVID-19, and does not have a current, approved telework application on file, the employee can submit a telework application to their immediate supervisor clearly denoting “COVID-19” as the justification. The form will need to be electronically approved before an employee can begin teleworking. If an employee has already submitted an approved telework application and will be temporarily adjusting their telework schedule, a new application is not needed.
Technology Service CenterWith remote teaching and working, many of us will be working flexible schedules. Please understand that the Technology Service Center is only available to help during their operating hours. The hours are Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m.–11 p.m.; Friday, 8 a.m.–10 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.; and Sunday, 1–10 p.m. The Technology Service Center is not 24 hours a day.
How do I complete timesheets?
Please find forms on the timesheets MyHCC page. For hours worked via teleworking, please mark the telework column.
For hourly employees who are working, please continue to submit your hours online through MyHCC.
For budgeted employees that use the semi-monthly or monthly timesheets, please continue to submit these files to your supervisor who will approve and submit them to the payroll department.
- For any time worked at home, those hours should be documented in the telework column. There is no need to mark anything in the notes or other column.
- If you are taking vacation, sick, or personal leave, use the appropriate column.
- Any combination of telework, leave is acceptable if the combination of leave is used within the same day.
Once supervisors have reviewed and approved, they can email the form with their approval to the payroll email address at email@example.com.