Remote Student Services
Important: Please review the following if you are ill from Covid-19.
Your health, safety, and well-being are important to Howard Community College.
- All services are available remotely.
- A limited number of in-person appointments are available for students who have had difficulty due to lack of technology or needing accommodations.
- To arrange for appointments regarding admissions to the college, application status, academic advising, and college readiness and exemption from placement testing, contact email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 443-518-1200.
- To schedule an appointment for a placement test, nursing entrance exam or other proctored test, contact email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or 443-518-1280.
Admissions & Advising
Have a Quick Question? Email Us!
General questions or course requisite waivers: email@example.com
Work with an advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nursing/Allied Health clinical program questions: email@example.com
International/Immigrant questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
High School Student questions: email@example.com
Pop-In Advising - Virtual - No Appointment Necessary!
Day Virtual Hours Monday 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Tuesday 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. Wednesday 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Thursday 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. Friday 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
What is Pop-In Advising?
This is an opportunity to meet with an academic advisor via Zoom during Pop-In Advising hours, no appointment necessary! Once you join, you will be notified via text message when it’s your turn to meet with an academic advisor in the Zoom meeting room (messaging rates may apply).
What's wonderful about virtual academic advising is that we still meet face-to-face, but you can meet from the comfort of your home or office (please no driving during your zoom session). You will need a secure internet connection, a webcam and microphone. Students can use a smart-phone, tablet, laptop and/or desktop.
Note: We will be using ZOOM for the web meeting. You will need a photo ID ready so we can confirm your identity.
How to Join (2 options):
- Use this link to login to join the virtual line
- Text to join the virtual line: text HowardCC to 443-221-4393
What Happens Next?
You will receive text message updates about your wait time. Once an academic advisor is ready for you, you will be sent a Zoom link to join Pop-In Advising where you will meet individually with an academic advisor. If you are joining Zoom on your computer, the Zoom meeting ID number is located at the end of the link after the “/”. You can also type the received Zoom link you receive into your preferred browser.
The Office of Admissions and Advising Hours
Monday - Friday Hours Front Counter Services 8:45 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Academic Advising
See Pop-In Advising Schedule Above
For students with technology challenges, on-site appointments are available.
To request an onsite appointment with an academic advisor, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to the scheduling link. Simply type the word ‘Access’ in the subject line to receive the scheduling link.
The Howard Community College athletics department has announced their plan to continue athletics in the 2020-2021 season which will allow teams to practice for competitions in the spring semester.
The Athletics and Fitness Center will remain closed to the public until further notice with appointments being required to meet with any administration or training personnel.
The athletic department staff will continue to monitor emails to assist student-athletes and community members with questions. To reach a member of the Dragon Athletic Staff, please visit our directory online at https://howardccdragons.com/staff-directory. We will continue to post updates as they become available on the Dragon Athletics homepage.
The bookstore will begin operations open to the public on June 2nd. Hours will be 9am-3pm for Summer, M-F.
Financial Aid Services
Beginning June 2, The Office of Financial Aid Services (FAS) is open Monday-Friday, 8:45 a.m. -5:00 p.m. We are happy to serve students on a walk-in basis. Our Zoom virtual walk-in service is available Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 10am to 1pm.To access our zoom link click here!
For additional assistance, please contact:
- For questions regarding completing the FAFSA, your financial aid award including grants, loans, scholarships, or SAP appeals, contact email@example.com or 443-518-1260.
- College Work-Study related questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All other Financial Aid questions: email@example.com
- For instructions on how to upload documents, click here: Document Upload Instructions
- For questions regarding refunds: firstname.lastname@example.org
The HCC Food Pantry will be closed and remain closed while the college offers courses online. If you are in need of food and emergency supplies please see these available resources:
Howard County Food Bank
9385 Gerwig Lane, Suite J
Columbia, MD 21046
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday from 1–4 p.m.
Eligibility: You must be a Howard County resident, have a picture ID, and provide 30-day proof of income. Due to COVID-19, only premade bags will be available for pick up
For non-Howard County residents, use this Maryland Food Bank link for local food pantries in your area: https://mdfoodbank.org/find-food/
Records, Registration and Veterans’ AffairsBeginning June 2, The Office of Records, Registration, and Veterans’ Affairs (RRVA) is open Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. -5:00 p.m. We are happy to serve students on a walk-in basis. Students using veterans benefits should contact email@example.com before coming to campus to ensure staff is available.Request your transcript online via Parchment. For enrollment verifications, visit National Student Clearinghouse. For more information and for other options, please visit the Request your HCC Transcript page.
Student Finance Services (cashiering/payment plans/refunds)
We are working behind-the-scenes on your student accounts. Credit card payments can be made online through myHCC. You may also sign up for a payment plan through myHCC. Visit howardcc.edu/paymentplan for information. Should you have any questions specific to your payment plan, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The college will continue to process refunds through our refund partner, BankMobile. Be sure to select your refund preference with BankMobile. If you have finance specific questions, please email email@example.com.
Student Life is open Monday-Thursday, 10 am – 2 pm, and can be reached remotely Monday-Friday from 8:30 am - 5:00 pm, through August 13. Our office is in Student Activities (SA) 200. These services will be offered in-person:
Discounted AMC Movie Tickets
Students can purchase discounted AMC movie tickets for $10.50. Tickets can be purchased at the Cashier’s Office located in RCF 200-A.
A private room will be available for meditation and prayer during Student Life business hours. Please visit the office of Student Life for access into the room. The room will be sanitized following each use. .
Meanwhile, Student Life will continue to offer these services remotely over the summer:
New Student Orientation
New Student Orientation (NSO) is a great opportunity for new students to learn how to be successful academically, meet new and experienced students, and learn about the resources that will INSPIRE your success at Howard Community College! Virtual New Student Orientation (Fall 2021) is Monday, August 23rd, 2021, 8:30am-12noon.
There is also a Virtual NSO program for parents and families on Wednesday, August 25th, 2021, 6:00pm-8:00pm.
To learn more and register, visit www.howardcc.edu/NSO. Our online orientation is also great resource for all new students, or if you’re returning and just want to revisit some helpful information about HCC resources.
HCC Clubs and Resources
Student Life has created an online listing of HCC clubs and resources that you can view 24/7 on Flipgrid! Visit our Flipgrid to find out how you can get more involved on-campus and about all the services our campus has to offer. To access our Flipgrid videos:
- Go to Flipgrid.com/hccfair
- Use the code “hccfair” on the Flipgrid app or website
- You must enter in your HCC account info via Microsoft or Google to access our Flipgrid.
For questions on how to join a club, please contact the Student Government Association at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out your student newspaper online.
Our staff are in the process of planning virtual events. Please check our virtual events page for a complete listing, which will be updated as events are confirmed.
Virtual Bulletin Board on Padlet
One location that showcases everything happening at HCC from club meetings, theatrical performances, virtual events, and more! View our Padlet here!
Online Housing Information
Looking for an apartment or a roommate? Or would you like to offer a place for others to rent? Visit our online housing page for updated listings.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com or call 443-518-1420.
Hours of Operation & General Information
- Test Center hours of operations M-T (9-5), Friday (9-3)
- Join Us for Pop Up Test Center Info Sessions: The Zoom Sessions will be available on Mondays and Wednesdays, 3PM to 4PM as well as Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1PM to 2PM. You can meet with a testing administrator via Zoom to discuss all things testing related, no appointment needed! Join a Pop-Up Test Center Info Session.
- Course exams will be administer for face-to-face and hybrid courses only. Appointments will be required; no walk-in testing services for academic courses are offered at this time. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details on how to schedule your appointment.
- HESI A2 and LPN to RN Mobility testers will receive scheduling and important test information via email to their HCC email accounts. Please email email@example.com for more details on how to schedule your appointment.
- Proctoring services for other institutions will be available by appointment. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details on how to schedule your appointment.
- Remote Math placement testing is available. To learn more about the math placement test and how to take the ALEKS PPL assessment at home visit our ALEKS PPL webpage.
- Remote English placement testing is available. To learn more about the English placement exams and to schedule your appointment for remote testing go to our English placement webpage.
- Professional Certifications (Scantron, IQT, and Certiport) are available on a limited basis. To schedule your appointment for a Scantron or an IQT exam visit their website. To schedule an appointment for a Certiport exam send an email to the Test Center. For more information, go to our Professional Certification webpage.
- CLEP and DSST test administration is available on Thursday from 10:00am to 3:00pm. To schedule an appointment, please contact the Test Center by email.
- GED and Pearson VUE test administration will begin June 21, 2021. For more information on GED testing go to our GED (Pearson VUE) webpage. For all other Pearson VUE exams visit our Professional Certification webpage.
Tutoring (Learning Assistance Center)
Learning Assistance Center: All group and individual tutoring appointments will be conducted via the Zoom platform. Students will be contacted soon about existing appointments.
LAC tutors are continuing tutoring their existing scheduled students. In addition, new students will be assigned to them, as we receive new tutoring applications. Students may apply online by visiting howardcc.edu/tutoring.
The LAC main drop-in schedule is subdivided into three parts: 1) Math, 2) English, and 3) Accounting, Nursing, and Sciences. These schedules have been published in myHCC. Students will need to sign in to MyHCC to participate in Drop-in Tutoring.
Each drop-in tutoring hour is associated with the scheduled tutor’s Zoom link, so students can join by clicking on the tutor’s meeting ID # during the scheduled drop-in hour(s).
We now have a LAC Virtual Main office, and it is staffed for the same hours that the LAC is open for tutoring. Students will have access to the LAC Main Office to inquire if tutors are available on myHCC (login required).