Remote Student Services
Your health, safety, and well-being are important to Howard Community College. During this time of unprecedented change due to the coronavirus (COVID-19), the college has moved to remote (online) delivery of Instruction and services. Campus buildings are not open to the public or students, however faculty and staff remain available to support you and help you succeed. Find out details below.
Academic Support Services
Academic Support Services is available to support students at the contacts below.
- Academic Standing: If you need to meet with a completion specialist to discuss your academic standing, schedule a virtual or phone advising appointment by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 443-518-1320.
- Ambiciones: To contact your Ambiciones advisor, please send a message via Canvas, email email@example.com, or call 443-518-4154. We will accept applications through a brief online interest form. Once completed, interested students will be contacted to set up a virtual intake meeting.
- Career Links: Career Links staff is available to provide resources and support. To reach Career Links staff, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at 443-518-4954. Career Links staff will reply to messages within 24 hours Monday-Friday.
- Howard P.R.I.D.E.: All group and individual tutoring appointments will be conducted via the Zoom platform. Please email Howard P.R.I.D.E. advisors Shawn Lamb (email@example.com) or Terrell Bratcher (firstname.lastname@example.org), or by phone at 443-518-3108 for more information. Applications will be accepted through a brief online interest form. Once completed, students will be contacted to set up a virtual intake meeting.
- Learning Assistance Center: All group and individual tutoring appointments will be conducted via the Zoom platform. Students will be contacted soon about existing appointments. For new tutoring appointments, students should apply at howardcc.edu/tutoring. For additional questions, email Parul Shah (email@example.com), Cathi Watts (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Genele Godana (email@example.com) or call 443-518-1320.
- TRIO – Student Support Services Program: To contact your TRIO advisor, please send a message via Canvas or e-mail TRIO@howardcc.edu. Students interested in joining TRIO should complete our online interest form and a TRIO advisor will schedule a virtual intake session.
Admissions & Advising
To request advising assistance for future terms, explore degree programs, or learn more about transfer programs, schedule a virtual or phone advising appointment by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 443-518-1200. Other points of contact are:
- New students can reach admissions at email@example.com.
- International students can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- JumpStart students can reach us at JumpStart@howardcc.edu with questions.
Freshman Focus is being moved to a virtual platform. We will send out information to students once the details have been finalized.
The athletic department staff will continue to monitor emails to assist student-athletes and community members with questions. To reach a member of the Dragon Athletic Staff, please visit our directory online at https://howardccdragons.com/staff-directory. We will continue to post updates as they become available on the Dragon Athletics homepage.
The bookstore will be closed to the public for the time being, however, you may still purchase your course materials online at www.howardcc.bncollege.com. All orders placed during this time will be delivered with FREE SHIPPING by UPS. Delivery of course materials ordered online takes on average 1-2 business days to most locations in the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area. Send any questions or concerns regarding your bookstore needs to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 443-518-1400.
Career Services is available to support students, community members, and employers.
Students and Community Members:
- Visit www.howardcc.edu/career for a variety of online resources to support you with each stage of the career development process.
- To schedule an appointment for career counseling, job search assistance, or internship/co-op assistance, please call and leave a message at 443-518-1340. Your call will be returned within 24 hours and an appointment will be scheduled. Appointments will be conducted remotely either by phone or video (Zoom).
- If you would like a resume review, please email email@example.com.
- If you wish to post a job, please visit www.howardcc.edu/hccjobemployer to register as an employer, and post a position. Your position will be reviewed for approval within 24 hours (Monday – Friday).
- No reservations for on-campus recruiting (www.howardcc.edu/career/ocr) are being made at this time.
- Please contact Tanja Swain (firstname.lastname@example.org) for jobs and Zana Watson for internships (email@example.com) for additional assistance.
Center for Service Learning
The Center for Service Learning will continue to provide remote support to students, faculty, and community partners. All face-to-face service activities have been suspended until further notice. Students currently enrolled in a service learning course should consult their course Canvas page for instructions on how community-engaged learning will continue via remote instruction.
For immediate questions or concerns please contact the Center for Service Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org or 443-518-1885.
Children’s Learning Center
The Children’s Learning Center is currently closed to children, college students, faculty, and staff. Please continue to check the Howard Community College website for updates on the center’s reopening. For additional questions, please email Laurie Moran email@example.com.
For questions regarding lab school, please contact Jennifer Parrott firstname.lastname@example.org.
Personal counseling services will soon transition to teletherapy counseling. To schedule your appointment, call and leave a message at 443-518-1340. Your call will be returned within 24 hours. Teletherapy will be provided through the use of Zoom conferencing software or by telephone.
If you are experiencing a crisis, please contact Grassroots Crisis Center at 410-531-6677. If you prefer texting, you can text the word HOME to 741741 to connect with a crisis counselor.
The following resources may be helpful in terms of managing your mental health in the midst of all of the changes surrounding the coronavirus.
Disability Support Services
Students with disabilities are still entitled to academic accommodations for their online classes, although they may be delivered in a slightly different format. DSS counselors are available online and by phone to assist with questions or concerns. Call your individual counselor or email the office email@example.com. You may also leave a message at 443-518-1300, and then someone will get back to you.
If you have specific questions about assistive technology (such as Kurzweil Fire Fly, Glean, OneNote, or Zoom), contact Cristina Finan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Financial Aid Services
We are working diligently to ensure that your financial aid is processed and your eligibility for aid is determined in a timely manner. We encourage you to check your HCC email and log into Self-Service for regular updates on your financial aid status. Effective immediately, all documents should be submitted to email@example.com from your HCC email account. We are unable to accept faxed or mailed documents at this time.
Eligible work-study students who are actively participating in work study this semester are eligible to receive wages through work-study funds and can be paid up to their work study award amount. Please continue to check your HCC email account for updates.
For additional assistance, please contact:
The HCC Food Pantry will be closed and remain closed while the college offers courses online. If you are in need of food and emergency supplies please see these available resources:
Howard County Food Bank
9385 Gerwig Lane, Suite J
Columbia, MD 21046
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday from 1–4 p.m.
Eligibility: You must be a Howard County resident, have a picture ID, and provide 30-day proof of income. Due to COVID-19, only premade bags will be available for pick up
For non-Howard County residents, use this Maryland Food Bank link for local food pantries in your area: https://mdfoodbank.org/find-food/
Library & Learning Commons
- Chat live with a librarian 7 days-a-week for research assistance. Click here for our hours.
- Search FindIt for articles for your research assignments. Click here for a list of all databases.
- Visit Cite and Write for citation assistance or chat live with a librarian.
- Watch movies and educational videos for your classes.
- For all library resources, services, and updates, visit the library homepage.
- All library items currently checked out will be due after HCC returns to on-campus instruction. Until then, NO FINES will accrue and materials should NOT be returned.
Office of International Education
The Office of International Education will continue to assist students via email, phone, or web conference. To speak with a staff member about planning for future study abroad programs or other international opportunities, including the Global Distinction Program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All spring and summer study abroad programs have been canceled. All participants have received information and guidance about the cancellation.
Records, Registration and Veterans’ Affairs
Request your transcript online via Parchment. For enrollment verifications, visit National Student Clearinghouse. For more information and for other options, please visit the Request your HCC Transcript page.
Other services available include requesting an enrollment verification, updating your contact information, changing your residency, and applying to graduate. All forms are available at howardcc.edu/rrvaforms and can be emailed to email@example.com. All other questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students using veterans benefits can contact email@example.com for assistance.
The HMDV-151 and HMDV-251 seminar courses will be delivered online. Students should consult their course Canvas page for updates. Second-year students enrolled in HMDV-251 will receive instructions via Canvas and email regarding how to continue their capstone projects.
Individual appointments with Honors faculty and staff will be conducted via Zoom and may be scheduled by emailing Frances Turner (firstname.lastname@example.org), Laura McHugh (email@example.com), or Matt Van Hoose (firstname.lastname@example.org), or by calling 443-518-4662.
Current high school students interested in applying to the Rouse Scholars program should visit https://www.howardcc.edu/programs-courses/academics/honors-programs/.
Individual appointments with Honors faculty and staff will be conducted via Zoom and may be scheduled by emailing Frances Turner (email@example.com) or calling 443-518-4662.
Prospective or currently enrolled HCC students interested in applying to the Schoenbrodt Scholars program should visit https://www.howardcc.edu/programs-courses/academics/honors-programs/.
Silas Craft Collegians Program
Program staff will continue to provide support for the Silas Craft Collegians. Seminars for each cohort will be delivered online, and mentoring meetings will take place by phone or web conference. Collegians are encouraged to check Canvas for up-to-date information on program and seminar requirements.
To contact your cohort manager, please send a message via Canvas or by e-mail to the contacts below:
- First-year collegians: Candace dePass (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Second-year collegians: Angela Phillips (email@example.com)
- Third-year collegians: Jarrell Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Applications to the Silas Craft Collegians Program for the 2020-2021 academic year are currently under review. Prospective students and their parents may direct questions regarding the program to email@example.com.
The HMDV-161 and HMDV-261 seminar courses will be delivered online. Students should consult their course Canvas page for updates. Current STEM Scholars should contact Dr. Loretta Tokoly (firstname.lastname@example.org) with program-related questions or concerns, or Frances Turner (email@example.com) for questions related to the second-year capstone sequence.
Step Up Success Coaching
All individual coaching sessions will be conducted via the Zoom platform, by phone, or through HCC email as agreed upon by students and their coaches. Students interested in participating in success coaching through STEP Up may still apply by completing the online application at www/howardcc.edu/stepup. For additional information or assistance with connecting with your coach, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 443-518-4465.
Student Finance Services (cashiering/payment plans/refunds)
Although classes are canceled March 23–29, we are working behind-the-scenes to work on your student accounts. Credit card payments can be made online through myHCC. You may also sign up for a payment plan through myHCC. Visit howardcc.edu/paymentplan for information. Should you have any questions specific to your payment plan, please email email@example.com.
The college will continue to process refunds through our refund partner, BankMobile. Be sure to select your refund preference with BankMobile. If you have finance specific questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Life will be offering the following services remotely.
- Students Government Association and student clubs
The Student Government Association (SGA) is working with student club leaders to provide resources for clubs to meet virtually. For questions about virtual club operations or how to join a club, please contact the SGA at email@example.com.
- Student Program Board
The Student Program Board (SPB) will host virtual events. Join them virtually on Thursday, April 2 at 2 p.m. for a meeting to discuss event ideas. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your ideas or to get an invitation to the virtual meeting.
- HCC Times
Check out your student newspaper online. Staff will continue posting articles for the rest of the semester.
- Virtual events
Our staff are in the process of planning virtual events. Please check our calendar of events for a complete listing, which will be updated as events are confirmed.
- Online housing information
Looking for an apartment or a roommate? Or would you like to offer a place for others to rent? Visit our online housing page for updated listings.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com
- Students Government Association and student clubs
Student PayrollFor those students who are not on federal work-study, you will get a message sent specifically to employees about how to complete your timesheet. If you have any specific payroll questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students on federal work-study, please see the financial aid services section.
Many services will be offered via Zoom.
On-campus testing services at the Test Center are temporarily suspended until further notice.
- Virtual placement testing will be available soon. Continue to check our webpage for updated placement testing information
- All academic course exams and assessments will be offered online. Students are encouraged to contact professors directly for information about course exams.
- Any students scheduled to take the HESI A2 or LPN to RN Mobility exams will be receiving information via email to their HCC accounts.
The Wellness Center will be offering the following services remotely:
Free fitness videos, and links to workouts through our social media accounts to stay fit at home.
Ask the Nurse one-on-one appointments
We're here to answer questions or concerns about your health. If you would like to schedule an appointment, or have other concerns regarding your wellness, contact us by email at email@example.com and we will schedule a Zoom meeting with you.
Virtual Health Promotion and Prevention
We will be offering health campaigns and outreach programming through social media. Please follow us on Instagram @wellnesshcc or like our Facebook page @HCCwellness to stay informed.
Virtual Stress Management
We will NOT be able to hold acupuncture, massage or Reiki, but here are a few apps that might be helpful during this time.
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org