Remote Learning tools
Whether you are enrolled in an online, hybrid, or face-to-face course, you will be using Canvas - our online learning management system - as well as other technology resources to communicate, complete tasks, and view course content. This page has information to support your use of these tools during online delivery of classes.
All credit courses at HCC have an associated Canvas course site. During the prolonged campus closure, your instructor may choose to use more features of Canvas to keep your learning on track. Set your Canvas notifications so that you don't miss any information.
Common Canvas Tools
- Announcements - urgent information from the instructor for the class
- Assignment - information and place to submit coursework
- Conferences - online conferencing tool to speak to instructor/classmates
- Discussion Board - communication tool for class assignments and collaboration
- Gradebook - posted grades for class assignments
- Inbox - emails/messages from and to your instructor
- Module - group of related assignments, readings, discussion boards and other resources
- Quiz - online proctored or non-proctored assessment
Activities, Assignments and Assessments
Faculty have many options for online activities, assignments, and assessments (quizzes). It is important that you review all directions for an activity, assignment, or quiz carefully and that you contact your faculty member via the Canvas Inbox with any questions.
Common Tools for Activities, Assignments, and Assessment
Communication and Collaboration
Communication is essential when a course is online for a semester or a single class meeting. In addition to gathering information, you may use collaboration tools to create content with your classmates. Check your Canvas site AND your HCC email at least once a day for important information. Set your Canvas notifications so that you don't miss any information.
Common Tools for Communication and Collaboration
- Canvas Conferences - online conferencing tool to speak to instructor/classmates
- Canvas Inbox - used to send questions and information to your instructor
- Canvas Discussion Board - communication tool for class assignments and collaboration
- Google Docs - used to create documents, papers by individual students or groups
- VoiceThread - used as a video presentation and collaboration tool to view or create a video, audio and/or text discussion thread
Learning Apps for Your Phone
You can access Canvas and other tools you may need to stay connected using most web-enabled devices, including desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones. Most of the tools are browser-based, so all you will need is your device (Android, Apple) and an Internet connection - wifi or data.
Internet Service/WiFi Access
- Comcast offers eligible households two months of Internet Essentials for free. The application and eligibility requirements are available online.
- Comcast Xfinity now offers eligible college students, who are new customers, a $150 Visa prepaid gift card worth about two months of internet service. Sign up online.