Skip Navigation

Return to Campus Information ››

HCC Main Campus
10901 Little Patuxent Parkway
Columbia MD, 21044
Laurel College Center
312 Marshall Avenue, Suite 205
Laurel, MD 20707
Training & Development Solution
Maryland Innovation Center
6751 Columbia Gateway Drive
Columbia MD 21046
Take a Virtual Tour
Take an interactive look at HCC's campus

Student Responsibilities

Please follow the guidelines outlined bellow to ensure paperwork is processed in a timely manner:

The student must submit a registration statement to the VA certifying official in the Office of Records, Registration & Veterans’ Affairs and sign a deferred payment plan/promissory note each semester in order to receive VA educational benefits.  Submission of this paperwork will be considered a formal request to forward certification directly to the VA Regional Office. A formal request to forward enrollment certifications to the VA Regional Office may be made for classes taken up to one year from the date of submission.

In accordance with VA regulations, students seeking VA educational benefits must officially declare a program of study with the Office of Admissions and Advising in order to be certified for payment. VA education benefits only apply to classes that are required for the program of study. Students' academic program's may not be listed as "Undecided."

All postsecondary transcripts and military experience must be officially evaluated by the Office of Admissions and Advising no later than the second semester of certification. Visit Military Transcripts for additional information.

A student may only declare one program at a time for use with VA educational benefits. If more than one program is pursued, students must contact to obtain permission to certify concurrent programs. Only concurrent programs reasonably related to a single career field under the declared program may be eligible for VA educational benefits. 

An approved course substitution form must be submitted to the VA certifying official for classes that are being substituted to complete any program requirements. Course substitution forms are completed by the Office of Admissions and Advising and approved by the division chair.

Students must notify the VA certifying official when classes are dropped or cancelled.  Failure to do so may result in overpayment.

Students who drop or receive nonpunitive grades (including W) for classes that have been certified for payment may be required to repay the College and VA Regional Office. If mitigating circumstances are stated, documentation must be submitted to the Office of Records, Registration & Veterans’ Affairs as soon as possible and no later than the seventh week of the next term.

For grades of NA or F, the school certifying official must report the last day of attendance to the VA, which may result in a debt owed to HCC for tuition and fees, as well as to the VA for any book stipend and housing allowance received.

Certifications cannot be forwarded to the VA Regional Office if the student fails to maintain the satisfactory academic progress standard outlined in the college catalog.

If you are using Chapter 30, 33, or 1606, you MUST verify your enrollment with VA each month.  Failure to verify your enrollment will result in nonpayment.  Students may verify their enrollment either by phone or online.

Telephone Verification
Call 1-877-823-2378. The phone system is available 24 hours a day.

Online Verification
WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment)

  • Certify your student benefit status (term dates and training time).
  • Check your last payment issue date and monthly rate.
  • Set up direct deposit for your educational benefits.
  • Review frequently asked questions and ask questions of your own.
  • Submit a request to change your address.

Questions regarding the amount of your monthly payments should be directed directly to the VA processing office.  The number to call is 1-888-GIBILL-1.

We welcome the opportunity to assist you.  Contact the VA certifying official or stop by the Office of Records, Registration & Veterans’ Affairs in Room RCF-233 during counseling hours .

Giving makes a difference! Your support helps students along their pathways to success.