Borrowing from the Alternative Loan Program
Alternative loans are private loans designed to supplement other types of aid and financial resources needed to assist students in meeting the cost of attending college.
- Alternative loans should be considered only after all other low-cost financial aid resources have been exhausted (i.e., grants, scholarships, Direct Federal student/parent loans).
- Financial Aid Services strongly encourages all students to complete the FAFSA. Completing the financial aid application process allows our office to evaluate eligibility for additional resources.
- Students may select any lender they wish to borrow from the Alternative loan program. Please be sure to consider customer service, borrower benefits, repayment incentives, and undisclosed fees when deciding on a lender. Not all lenders will lend to students at community colleges. To view lenders that work with HCC students you can access ELM Select at https://www.elmselect.com/v4/school/821/program-select , an interactive tool to compare private loans.
- HCC will process loan request from any lender selected by a student as long as the selected lender has approved HCC to certify alternative loans with their organization. Some lenders may have more manual processes and this can cause a delay in loan processing, approval, and disbursement.
- Students who have a credit balance only because they have excess Alternative loan funds must purchase any needed books and supplies out of pocket.
Students and parents are encouraged to view the "Pay for College" web page to seek information on additional ways to pay tuition and fees.