Apply for Financial Aid
Applying for financial aid is an annual process. This means a new application must be completed for each academic year. You are encouraged to apply for financial aid by the March 1 priority filing date.
2023-2024 Application Process (Fall 2023, Winter/Spring 2024, and Summer 2024)
Beginning October 1, 2022, students are able to complete the 2023-2024 FAFSA or MSFAA
Helpful hints! Complete your 2023-2024 FAFSA or MSFAA early before January 1, 2023 if possible but definitely before the March 1, 2023 Maryland State scholarship deadline! If you miss the March 1 priority filing date, you can still apply for 2023-2024 financial aid, even after your classes begin. The 2023-2024 application requires 2021 tax information.
2022-2023 Application Process (Fall 2022, Winter/Spring 2023, and Summer 2023)
Its not too late for enrolled students to complete the 2022-2023 FAFSA or MSFAA!
Enrolled students can still be considered for financial aid to help them with their Fall 2022, Winter/Spring 2023, and Summer 2023 courses. It is important to complete your applications as soon as possible but no later than your last day of attendance. The 2022-2023 application requires 2020 tax information. Stop by Financial Aid Services in RCF 245 for assistance.
STEP 1 - Complete Your FAFSA or MSFAA
Financial aid applicants should complete either the FAFSA or the MSFAA every academic year. The FAFSA requires students to be US citizens or eligible non-citizens. Learn more about who qualifies as an eligible non-citizen here. The MSFAA is available for applicants who do not meet the citizenship requirements of the FAFSA but meet certain MD residency requirements. Click here to learn more about MSFAA eligibility.
Submitting a FAFSA
New to applying for financial aid using the FAFSA? Create an FSA ID by going to studentaid.gov. The FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid’s online systems and can serve as your legal signature. Then complete the FAFSA online at studentaid.gov.
- Be sure to include HCC's school code (008175) in the school code section of the FAFSA.
- For ease and accuracy we encourage you to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- Although a social security number is not required for admissions, students who wish to be considered for financial aid must provide HCC their social security number.
- Be sure to use your FSA ID to sign your FAFSA electronically.
Submitting a MSFAA
Login to MDCAPS to submit a MSFAA online at https://mdcaps.mhec.state.md.us. If you do not have an MDCAPS account, select the “Create a Student Login” option to create a new account. Have questions about the application? Check out the MSFAA User Guide here.
STEP 2 - Complete Your HCC Scholarship Application
Apply for Howard Community College Educational Foundation scholarships. Visit our Howard Community College Educational Foundation scholarships page for additional information and to learn about scholarship eligibility requirements.
Transfer Students Only
If you have received financial aid from another institution, please also do the following:
- Add HCC's school code (008175) to your FAFSA at studentaid.gov.
- Although a social security number is not required for admissions, students who wish to be considered for financial aid must provide HCC with their social security number.
- If you were awarded a MD state scholarship, update your school information with Maryland Higher Education Commission by going to MDCAPS.
- If you have pending Federal Direct Student Loans at a previous institution, you must contact that school to cancel the remaining 2022-2023 disbursements. To request a 2022-2023 Federal Direct Student Loan at HCC, complete the loan request on myHCC Financial Aid Self-Service by selecting "Request a New Loan".
Please note: The Department of Education prohibits students from receiving financial aid at two or more institutions during a single term. If you are planning to enroll in courses that are required to complete a degree at another institution, please contact the Financial Aid Services immediately to discuss your options.