Apply for Financial Aid
Applying for financial aid is an annual process. This means a new application must be completed for each academic year. You are encouraged to apply for financial aid by the March 1 priority filing date.
2020-2021 Application Process (Fall 2020, Winter/Spring 2021, and Summer 2021)
If you missed the March 1 priority filing date, you can still apply for 2020-2021 financial aid, even after your classes begin. The 2020-2021 FAFSA requires 2018 tax information.
2021-2022 Application Process (Fall 2021, Winter/Spring 2022, and Summer 2022)
Beginning October 1, 2020, students are able to complete the 2021-2022 FAFSA!
Helpful hints! Complete your 2021-2022 FAFSA early before January 1, 2021 if possible but definitely before the March 1, 2021 Maryland State scholarship deadline! If you miss the March 1 priority filing date, you can still apply for 2021-2022 financial aid, even after your classes begin. The 2021-2022 FAFSA requires 2019 tax information.
STEP 1 - Complete Your FAFSA
New to applying for financial aid? Create an FSA ID by going to fsaid.ed.gov. The FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid’s online systems and can serve as your legal signature. Then complete the FAFSA online at studentaid.gov.
- Be sure to include HCC's school code (008175) in the school code section of the FAFSA.
- For ease and accuracy we encourage you to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- Although a social security number is not required for admissions, students who wish to be considered for financial aid must provide HCC their social security number.
- Be sure to use your FSA ID to sign your FAFSA electronically.
STEP 2 - Complete Your HCC Scholarship Application
Apply for Howard Community College Educational Foundation scholarships. Visit our Howard Community College Educational Foundation scholarships page for additional information and to learn about scholarship eligibility requirements.
Transfer Students Only
If you have received financial aid from another institution, please also do the following:
- Add HCC's school code (008175) to your FAFSA at studentaid.gov.
- Although a social security number is not required for admissions, students who wish to be considered for financial aid must provide HCC with their social security number.
- If you were awarded a MD state scholarship, update your school information with Maryland Higher Education Commission by going to MDCAPS.
- If you have pending Federal Direct Student Loans at a previous institution, you must contact that school to cancel the remaining 2020-2021 disbursements. To request a 2020-2021 Federal Direct Student Loan at HCC, complete the loan request on myHCC Financial Aid Self-Service by selecting "Request a New Loan".
Please note: The Department of Education prohibits students from receiving financial aid at two or more institutions during a single term. If you are planning to enroll in courses that are required to complete a degree at another institution, please contact the Financial Aid Services immediately to discuss your options.