Graduation and Commencement
Howard Community College is committed to helping you reach your goal. If you’re enrolled in a degree or certificate program, keep the following information on hand.
The deadlines to apply to graduate are March 15 for spring, June 15 for summer, and October 15 for fall. If you’re going to take no more than two courses during the summer and wish to participate in Commencement, apply for summer graduation by April 15.
Howard Community College's 48th Commencement will be held on Friday, May 24, 2019 at 10:00 a.m in the UMBC Event Center. Graduate line-up is at 9:00 a.m. All students participating in Commencement must wear the provided cap, gown, and hood.
The commencement ceremony will be streamed live online.
Apply to Graduate
- Meet with an advisor to determine if you are eligible to graduate. The deadlines to apply to graduate are March 15 for spring, June 15 for summer, and October 15 for fall. If you’re going to take no more than two courses during the summer and wish to participate in Commencement, apply for summer graduation by April 15.
- While there, complete an Application to Graduate (it's free!).
- Make sure you fill out a separate application for each degree and/or certificate that you plan to receive.
- If you're planning to move before or after graduation, make sure you submit a Change of Information form to the Office of Records, Registration, and Veterans' Affairs.
Don’t I just graduate automatically when I have finished my requirements?
No. To graduate from Howard Community College, you need to complete the Application to Graduate with your academic advisor. If you completed the requirements for more than one program (degree or certificate), fill out an Application to Graduate for each program.
When should I apply to graduate?
The best time to apply to graduate is when you’ve completed 75% of your program requirements and will finish up next term.
Do I have to pay to apply to graduate?
There is no fee to apply to graduate, attend commencement, or order a cap, gown and hood.
How do I know if I am close to completing my requirements?
Meet with your advisor and ask. Your advisor will review your record with you and help you decide if you are ready to apply. Your advisor can also help you update your area of study or transfer in coursework completed at another college or university may accelerate your graduation.
Who is my advisor?
The Office of Admissions & Advising operates on a walk-in basis; you may see any advisor who is available when you visit.
Commencement takes place in May, but I won't complete my requirements until the end of summer. May I still attend the ceremony?
Yes, if you are taking up to two courses in summer. If you are taking three or more summer courses, you may participate in the Commencement the following spring.
Do I have to take all my credits at HCC?
You must take at least a minimum of 25% of your program at HCC to be eligible to graduate from HCC.
What requirements do I need to graduate with honors?
You must have an overall GPA of 3.5 to graduate with honors.
What happens if I do not successfully complete all the credits I need for my degree after I apply to graduate?
You will be notified that you did not satisfy the requirements, and you may apply again as soon as you register for your remaining classes.
Do I have to attend the ceremony in order to receive my diploma?
No. While we encourage you to attend this momentous event, you do not have to attend in order to receive your diploma.
What should I do to be sure my diploma information is correct?
Carefully and legibly print your name exactly as you want it to appear on the diploma when you fill out the Application to Graduate.
If I have applied to graduate and my degree is not yet posted, what can I use to verify my anticipated graduation?
Sometimes an employer or school will request proof of your graduation before your degree/certificate is posted or before you have received your diploma/certificate. Submit a verification of enrollment form to RRVA and select "pending graduation" from the options on the form.
Diplomas and Transcripts
Your diploma or certificate will be mailed to the address listed on your graduation application. Diplomas will be mailed July 15 for spring graduates, September 15 for summer graduates, and February 15 for fall graduates. Do you need a copy of your diploma? Find out how to request one here.
Your degree will be posted to your transcript after final grades are issued and clearance procedures have been completed. You will receive an email when your credential is posted to your record. Place a transcript request once you receive this email.
Diplomas and certificates are mailed after the final evaluation of academic records. This process usually takes four to six weeks following the graduation date.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Important Dates and Deadlines
- October 15 - Deadline to apply to graduate for fall 2018 graduates
- February - Fall graduate diplomas are mailed
- March 15 - Deadline to apply to graduate for spring 2019 graduates
- May 7 - Pick up your cap and gown, socialize with fellow graduates, and get your photo taken at the Graduate Get Together (10:30am - 1:30pm in RCF 400)
- May 24 - Commencement at 10 a.m. at UMBC! Time to celebrate!
- July - Spring graduate diplomas are mailed