Undocumented Student Resources
Maryland "Dream Act" Information
Maryland SB 167 and SB 537
Howard Community College grants admission to all students regardless of immigration status. Maryland legislation SB 167 and SB 537 (Maryland Dream Act) provide the opportunity for qualifying individuals to receive an exemption from out-of-state tuition rates if they meet criteria set forth in §15-106.8 of the Education Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland. The same criteria may also be required for eligibility for Maryland State Aid.
Students must meet the following requirements to be exempt from out-of-state tuition rates;
- Attended high school in Maryland
- Graduated from a high school in Maryland or received the equivalent of a Maryland high school diploma
- Enroll at public institution of higher education in Maryland within 6 years of graduating or of receiving the equivalent of a Maryland high school diploma
- Provide documentation that the individual, or the individual’s parent or legal guardian has filed Maryland income tax returns for 3 years prior to enrollment at a higher education institution in Maryland
- Provide an affidavit stating that the individual will file an application to become a permanent resident within 30 days after the individual becomes eligible to do so
- Provide proof that the individual has registered with the selective service system (applies to all males aged 18 – 25)
To retain the tuition status, the student shall:
- Submit Maryland income tax forms annually
To apply for Nonresident Tuition Exemption:
- Click here to download the Application for Reduced Tuition Rates
- When complete, please email email@example.com to discuss submission of your documents
Documents must be received prior to the start of the term.
The term "Dream Act" is also sometimes used to refer to DACA. Please see here for DACA information.
Students in the U.S. with no immigration documentation are welcome to attend HCC! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Financial Assistance Resources: