Change of Status F1 Visa Applicants
Applicants considering changing to F1 status in the U.S. are strongly encouraged to seek the services of an immigration attorney. Please note the important information regarding change of visa status below:
- Applicants with B1/B2 status cannot enroll in classes until the change to F1 status has been approved.
- Change of Status applicants who are approved for F1 status must follow the enrollment regulations which are in effect at the time of F1 approval.
- Please see this website for detailed information about changing to F1 visa status: https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/students-and-exchange-visitors/students-and-employment/changing-nonimmigrant-f-or-m-student-status.
Fall - August 1
Spring - December 1
Step 1: Read the following important information for International (F1) Applicants
Step 2: Submit an F1 Application
- International (F1) Application for Associate Degree study
- $50 non-refundable application fee
Step 3: Submit the following documents to complete your admission
- Howard Community College English placement exam
Placement into ENGL-086/ENGL-096 or higher is required for admission. Arrangements can be made to take the test after submitting the F1 application.
- Current bank statement (checking or savings account) with a balance of at least $34,000*
Payment is expected for duration of study at Howard Community College. Financial documentation must be shown to verify that students can pay for their first year of academic and living expenses before they can be admitted. These costs are currently $34,000* for a year of study (*costs subject to change).
- tuition and fees: $9,300
- books: $2,400
- room and board: $17,100
- personal expenses: $4,200
- health insurance: $1,000
- Financial/Sponsorship Forms
- Official high school diploma or graduation certificate
- Official college or university transcripts, if applicable
- U.S. transcripts must be official (in a sealed envelope issued by the college/university, or electronic format sent directly to HCC by the college/university)
- Students seeking transfer credit from outside of the U.S. must have their foreign transcripts evaluated by an accredited foreign transcript evaluation agency.
- Current Visa Documents (Passport, Visa, I-94, and any other documents related to current visa status)
Step 4: After completing admission to HCC...
- After completing admission to Howard Community College, an HCC Designated School Official will prepare the I-20. Students are required to pay the I-901 fee (www.fmjfee.com) and then submit an I-539 application (www.uscis.gov/i-539) to the USCIS. HCC staff cannot provide I-539 filing guidance; we recommend seeking the services of an immigration attorney if you require assistance with the I-539 application.