Skip Navigation

Return to Campus Information ››

HCC Main Campus
10901 Little Patuxent Parkway
Columbia MD, 21044
Laurel College Center
312 Marshall Avenue, Suite 205
Laurel, MD 20707
Training & Development Solution
Maryland Innovation Center
6751 Columbia Gateway Drive
Columbia MD 21046
Take a Virtual Tour
Take an interactive look at HCC's campus

Change of Status F1 Visa Applicants

Applicants considering changing to F1 status in the U.S. are strongly encouraged to seek the services of an immigration attorney.  Please note the important information regarding change of visa status below:


Application Deadlines:
Fall - August 1
Spring - December 1

Step 1: Read the following important information for International (F1) Applicants

Step 2: Submit an F1 Application

Step 3: Submit the following documents to complete your admission

  • Howard Community College English placement exam
    Placement into ENGL-086/ENGL-096 or higher is required for admission.  Arrangements can be made to take the test after submitting the F1 application.
  • Current bank statement (checking or savings account) with a balance of at least $34,000*
    Payment is expected for duration of study at Howard Community College.  Financial documentation must be shown to verify that students can pay for their first year of academic and living expenses before they can be admitted.  These costs are currently $34,000* for a year of study (*costs subject to change).
    • tuition and fees: $9,300
    • books: $2,400
    • room and board: $17,100
    • personal expenses: $4,200
    • health insurance: $1,000
  • Financial/Sponsorship Forms
  • Official high school diploma or graduation certificate
  • Official college or university transcripts, if applicable
    • U.S. transcripts must be official (in a sealed envelope issued by the college/university, or electronic format sent directly to HCC by the college/university)
    • Students seeking transfer credit from outside of the U.S. must have their foreign transcripts evaluated by an accredited foreign transcript evaluation agency.
  • Current Visa Documents (Passport, Visa, I-94, and any other documents related to current visa status)

Step 4: After completing admission to HCC...

  • After completing admission to Howard Community College, an HCC Designated School Official will prepare the I-20.  Students are required to pay the I-901 fee ( and then submit an I-539 application ( to the USCIS.  HCC staff cannot provide I-539 filing guidance; we recommend seeking the services of an immigration attorney if you require assistance with the I-539 application.
Giving makes a difference! Your support helps students along their pathways to success.