Are you a STEM student? Learn how to apply to a STEM honors opportunity.
The STEM Scholars Program is a challenging honors program for graduating high school seniors interested in pursuing majors in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics at Howard Community College.
Steps to Apply: High School Seniors
- Complete and submit the Honors Application for Admission.
- Turn in your $25 application fee (waived for HCC JumpStart, formerly Early Entrance, students and students with demonstrated financial need).
- Submit your official high school transcript.
- Submit SAT or ACT scores (optional).
- Complete our Additional Information Form/Resume.
- Complete the following with your STEM Scholars application:
- Essay submitted with application
- Teacher/Counselor recommendations (two are required)
- Official Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate or SAT/ACT Test scores (optional)
All supplemental application materials should be submitted to:Office of Admissions and Advising
Howard Community College
ATTN: STEM Scholars Program
10901 Little Patuxent Parkway
Columbia, MD 21044
*Academic performance and challenging coursework are the strongest factors for admission. In certain circumstances, consideration will be given to students for whom traditional indicators of academic excellence are not always valid. For some cases, students may be asked to come in to take the college's placement exam.
Dates and Deadlines
- December 1st, 2018- Priority Application Deadline
- January 15th, 2019- Notification of Priority Applicants
- March 1st, 2019- Regular Application Deadline
- April 1st, 2019- Notification of Regular Applicants
- May 1st, 2019- Candidate Reply Deadline
Current HCC Students
If you are a current HCC student interested in a rigorous academic experience in the STEM fields, you can apply to the STEM Scholars program after completing one semester at HCC, earning at least a 3.20 GPA, and having enrolled in college-level math courses. Please contact Dr. Loretta Tokoly, program director, at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information, or apply online using the HCC Educational Foundation Scholarship Application.
You may want to explore other financial aid opportunities, including the HCC Educational Foundation Endowments and Scholarships. Start by filling out the online scholarship application to be considered for scholarships beyond the STEM Scholars Program scholarship.
Financial Aid Services also encourages you to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have your completed FAFSA sent to HCC, if you have not done so already, to receive the maximum possible assistance based on your financial situation. If you have financial aid questions or are unsure about how to apply for financial aid and scholarships, please contact Marie Janiszewski, assistant director of financial aid, scholarships (443-518-4423 or email@example.com)