Physical Therapist Assistant Admissions
Physical Therapist Assistants (PTA) provide physical therapy services under the direction and supervision of a licensed Physical Therapist. PTAs help people of all ages who have medical problems or other health-related conditions that limit their ability to move and perform functional activities in their daily lives. PTAs work in a variety of settings including hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, home health, nursing homes, schools, sports facilities and more.
The Physical Therapist Assistant program is a full-time, day, fall-entry Associate of Applied Science degree.
The Physical Therapist Assistant Program at Howard Community College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 3030 Potomac Ave., Suite 100, Alexandria, VA 22305-3085; telephone: 703-706-3245; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; website: www.capteonline.org. If needing to contact the program/institution directly, please call 443.518.4370 or email email@example.com.
Steps to Apply
- Attend one of our information sessions.
- If not already a current HCC student, submit an HCC application for admission. Select Physical Therapist Assistant as your learning program on the application.
- New to College: Take placement tests, if applicable: Students may be exempt from the placement test if they have transcripts showing completion of college-level English and/or math at another academic institution, qualifying High School GPA or SAT/ACT test scores. Please speak to an advisor to review your options.
- Complete the required prerequisite coursework with appropriate overall GPA. Please consult with a Nursing/Allied Health Advisor in the Office of Admissions and Advising (RCF-242) to get the most current information on prerequisites and requirements. The College reserves the right to change unilaterally, without notification, any requirement, fee or program if it is deemed necessary.
- Have Prior Credit: Submit official college transcripts for all colleges you wish to transfer credit; complete an Official Transcript Evaluation Request Form
- Complete 50 hours of documented observation time in at least two different physical therapy facilities and turn in a signed PTA Clinical Observation Form with application by the January 15 deadline. Please note, applicants that applied to fall 2021 with interview option must now complete documented observation time for the 2022 admission cycle.
- Complete the supplemental application for admission to the Physical Therapist Assistant Program and submit online. The application fee is $25. The application cycle for PTA runs between September 15 and January 15 of each school year, with the January date as the final deadline.
- PTA AAS Supplemental Application will be available 9/15/22 for the Fall 2023 admission cycle.
- A drug screening and criminal background check will be required prior to enrollment in any nursing and allied health clinical course in order to ensure the safety of patients in the clinical setting. Students who do not comply with the drug screening and criminal background check are ineligible for placement in clinical agencies and are not able to progress in the clinical program. It is the student’s responsibility to know whether they are eligible for licensure. If a student has a criminal background, it is the students’ responsibility to explore whether the background will prohibit them from being licensed and employed in the health care industry. HCC faculty and staff are not able to provide legal advice. If you have any questions about your background, you may wish to discuss this matter with legal counsel.
- As of 6/17/2021 ALL students who accept a clinical seat will be required to show proof of completed COVID-19 Vaccine prior to beginning their clinical semester.
- As of Fall 2022, I will be required to show proof of health insurance. Howard Community College does not provide or sponsor health insurance for students. In the event that I sustain an injury while on campus or in clinical, it is my responsibility to utilize my own health insurance plan to cover the cost of treatment and/or follow up care.
Physical Therapist Assistant Program Documents
- Physical Therapist Assistant Program Planning Sheet (PDF)
- PTA Clinical Observation Form (PDF)
- PTA Clinical Interview Documentation Form (PDF)
- PTA Program Cost Sheet (PDF)
- Physical Therapist Assistance Program Outcomes
- Information for Admitted Students - what you need to know to prepare for your program, once admitted to the clinical portion of the program