Transfer to HCC
Take Charge with a Transfer to HCC
If you are currently enrolled at another college, but your circumstances have changed, Howard Community College is here for you. Transfer credits you have already earned and complete your degree at HCC.
Our admissions advisors are available online and by phone to help you navigate the next steps in your journey.
Contact an advisor today at 443-518-1200 or email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions
What courses are available in an online format at HCC?
Classes are offered in a blended learning environment, with three different formats for classes:
- Hybrid: Learn both in person and online. These are courses that have been approved for some amount of face-to-face interaction on campus. When on campus, all students and employees must wear face coverings at all times.
- Scheduled remote: Meet at designated times in an online classroom. These courses will meet in real time, and at the times listed in the class schedule. Courses will be listed as Scheduled Zoom, Scheduled Blackboard, or Scheduled Canvas in the class schedule.
- Flexible online: Study on your own time. These courses may or may not use Zoom, and recorded lectures are posted for students to watch on their own time. These courses still have due dates. Courses are listed in the schedule as Online.
- Explore class offerings, and find out how you can keep learning at HCC.
The college continues to monitor the rapidly evolving situation with the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and will use howardcc.edu/coronavirus to provide updates on operations and resources.
How is HCC responding to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic?Visit howardcc.edu/coronavirus/ for more information on the college's response to the coronavirus pandemic.
How can I transfer credits earned at other colleges and universities to HCC?
- Complete an application for admission to Howard Community College.
- If you are a financial aid student or plan to transfer course credit to Howard Community College, you must select an academic program.
- After applying, complete and submit the HCC Transcript Evaluation Request Form.
- Please fill out this form completely including your current area of study and all institutions previously attended.
- Contact all previous institutions you have attended including four year colleges and universities and accredited training programs, trade and vocational schools, and the military. All official transcripts and official standardized tests scores including CLEP, AP and, IB may be delivered electronically or sent to the Office of Admissions and Advising. After we have received every document, your transcript will be evaluated. You will receive your Transcript Evaluation Report in your HCC email in approximately two to four weeks following the receipt of all official transcripts and, if applicable, test scores. After your evaluation is complete, please check you "My Progress" tab, found in self-service-student planning to review how your transfer coursework applies yo your area of study.
What types of credits will HCC accept?
We accept college level credits from accredited institutions that are part of your learning program. General Education credits from University System of Maryland schools will be accepted without further review.
How many credits, maximum, can I transfer to HCC?
You can transfer a maximum of 45 credits or 75% of the total number of credits necessary to earn a degree at Howard Community College. Of the total number of transferable credits a maximum of 30 credits or 50% of the total credits towards a degree may be non-traditional credits (see question number 2). Of these 30 credits, the maximum of 15 credits or 25% of the total credits needed for the degree may be portfolio credits or institutional exams.
Does HCC accept credit for prior learning?Yes, please refer to our credit for prior learning page.
I earned a “D” in one course. Will HCC accept the credit?
We will accept "D" grades in courses that meet general education core requirements or elective credit. A grade of "C" or higher is required for prerequisite coursework for allied health clinical programs including Nursing, Cardiovascular Technology, Emergency Medical Services, and Radiologic Technology, as well as ENGL-121 College Composition. Some programs or courses may have grade or GPA minimums; contact an advisor for more information. It is important for the student to recognize that upon transfer to another institution it is unlikely that the "D" grade will satisfy specific course requirements related directly to the major.
Can I transfer credits from a college or university in a foreign country?
Generally the Office of Admissions and Advising at Howard Community College does not evaluate foreign transcripts. Students seeking credit from foreign colleges or universities must have their transcripts evaluated by an accredited foreign transcript evaluation service. When this evaluation is finished, students must complete our Transcript Request Evaluation Form. You may fax the form to 443-518-4589. Your international credit evaluation will be reviewed to determine if your credits apply to your program of study at HCC. A Transcript Evaluation Report from the Office of Admissions and Advising will be mailed to your home within four weeks of HCC receiving your documentation.
Does HCC charge for transcript evaluation?
There is no charge for transcript evaluation at Howard Community College.
What are the enrollment deadlines?Please refer to our Registration Dates and Deadlines page.
Does HCC offer financial aid or scholarships?HCC will help you find ways to ensure that a college education is within reach. Learn more about financial aid, scholarships, and paying for college.