Holiday Leave Procedure - 63.08.06
College Policy Number/Title:
- At Howard Community College, all budgeted and temporary with benefits employees are eligible for holiday leave. Holiday benefits are pro-rated for part-time budgeted and temporary with benefits employees. Hourly/temporary staff and adjunct faculty are not eligible for holiday pay.
- In order to be eligible for holiday pay, an employee must be in pay status for five days before and five days after the holiday. In order for a part-time budgeted or part-time temporary with benefits employee to be paid for a holiday, the holiday must fall on the employee’s regularly scheduled work day. If an employee is on less than full-time pay status (e.g. part-time budgeted status or short-term disability status), the holiday pay will be pro-rated.
- If the employee has given a resignation notice, the employee must work for at least one week after a holiday in order to be paid for that holiday.
- Full- and part-time budgeted and temporary with benefits employees who retire from HCC during the winter break or spring break do not need to be in pay status for five days after the holiday to be eligible for holiday pay.
- Holiday leave is available to employees during the probationary period.
Howard Community College provides 18-20 paid holidays each year for all full-time, position control/budgeted and temporary with benefits employees. Holidays are observed as follows:
|New Year's Day||January 1|
|Martin Luther King, Jr. Day||Third Monday in January|
|Spring Break||Five Days*|
|Memorial Day||Last Monday in May|
|Independence Day||July 4|
|Labor Day||First Monday in September|
|Thanksgiving||Fourth Thursday in November and the Wednesday immediately before and the Friday immediately after|
|Winter Break||Five to Seven Days*|
Dates for observances marked with asterisks (*) are set each academic year to avoid conflict with the instructional schedule. In certain years when the winter break includes only five paid days of holiday leave, an additional "floating" holiday will be designated during the year. In addition, if a designated national holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the college may elect to specify the paid day of holiday leave on a Friday or Monday.
Work on Scheduled Holiday
If a non-exempt employee is required to work on a scheduled holiday, the employee will be eligible for compensatory time at the premium rate of time and a half or will be paid for hours worked at the premium rate. If an exempt employee is required to work on a scheduled holiday, the employee will be eligible for compensatory time at a straight time rate or will be paid for hours worked at a straight time rate. If the employee is not required to work but rather makes a request to work on a holiday that is approved, the non-exempt employee will be provided compensatory time at the straight time rate. Employees are notified by supervisors in advance (when possible)** when they are scheduled to work during the holiday and whether the work is optional or required. If the work is required, it will be considered a “condition of employment,” which means that the employee must accept the scheduled work or potentially face disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
Accrual of Leave and Automatic Leave Sequence
There is no automatic leave sequence for holiday leave.
**Advance notice is not always possible; in such cases procedure 63.04.13, Emergency Call In, will apply.
Effective Date: 03/08/19
President's Office Use: VPAF