Tuition Waiver Procedure - 63.07.14
College Policy Number/Title:
Any Howard Community College (HCC) full- or part-time budgeted and temporary with benefits employee who enrolls in any class at HCC that has at least 10 regularly enrolled students, is exempt from payment of tuition.
- Employees are not allowed to attend classes or do coursework while on paid work time. At their discretion, a supervisor may allow an employee to adjust their schedule to take a course that meets during a normal shift, provided that the employee makes up the time at the beginning or end of the shift to fulfill the required number of shift hours worked.
- Tuition waiver approval must be obtained prior to course registration. Forms are available on the portal (myHCC) and in the office of human resources.
- Employee registration will be on a space-available basis only.
- Tuition only is waived; all other costs incurred will be paid by the employee. For courses taken at HCC, which are job-, career-, or degree-related, employees may request to have fees deferred, provided the employees agree to pay the fees if the course is not completed successfully. Employees must agree to have an automatic payroll deduction if it is necessary for repayment of the fees.
- Other fees may be eligible for reimbursement under procedure 63.07.13, Tuition/Fee Reimbursement.
All full- and part-time budgeted and temporary with benefits employees must complete a tuition waiver form and obtain the approval of their immediate supervisors prior to registration.
- The approved tuition waiver/fee reimbursement registration form should be submitted to human resources, along with a completed tax determination form, prior to registration in the course.
- The employee may then register for the course and submit a copy of the course registration and receipt for any fees or tuition that has been paid in advance.
- Upon completion of the course, the employee must submit a completion certificate, final grade, or statement of completion from their instructor to human resources.
Effective Date: 04/12/19
President's Office Use: VPAF