Employment Policy - 63.03
College Procedure Number/Title:
- 63.03.01 Employment Definitions
- 63.03.02 Probation
- 63.03.03 Promotion (Faculty)
- 63.03.04 Promotion (Staff)
- 63.03.06 Resignation
Howard Community College has established two categories of employees with term of contract. Term of contract is defined as the expectation of employment to be continued for a specified period of time. Employees of Maryland educational institutions with term of contract have certain rights if dismissed during the period of contract as defined by state law; they are given the right of notice and the right to be heard in the case of dismissal for cause. The two categories of employees with term of contract are:
- full-time faculty in budgeted positions who are not on probation. The term of contract period for full-time faculty is up to two years, unless limited to a one-year contract as a result of a negative performance appraisal (see procedure 63.05.01, Evaluation (Faculty)); and
- full-time administrative, professional/technical, and support group members in budgeted positions who are not on probation. The term of contract period for full-time administrative, professional/technical, and support group employees is up to one year.
Employees with a term of contract are notified of contract renewal through an annual salary agreement.
All other employees have no term of contract. These employees include:
- budgeted employees in probationary status
- part-time budgeted employees
- temporary with benefits employees
- adjunct faculty members (they do have short-term contracts)
- temporary employees
Employees with no term of contract work in an at-will relationship. This means that the employee or the college may end the employment relationship at any time for any reason or no reason with or without notice and without the right of appeal.
Effective Date: 11/10/17
President's Office Use: VPAF