Recruitment of Faculty and Staff Procedure - 63.02.01
College Policy Number/Title:
Howard Community College has put measures in place to ensure that recruitment of employees is done fairly, legally, and with the objectives of creating diverse applicant pools and hiring the optimal candidate for each position.
The college recruits internally or externally as appropriate for open faculty and staff positions. adjunct faculty pools are maintained for both credit and noncredit positions.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Specifications
- All advertising will include the statement "HCC is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and values diversity within its faculty, staff, and student populations." The college TDD (telephonic device for the deaf) number listed on all advertisements provides access for the hearing impaired.
- If the college uses the services of an employment agency to recruit personnel, that agency will be informed that the college is an equal opportunity employer and that referrals must be made in accordance with policy 63.01, Non-Discrimination .
- The college will follow the requirements of state and federal law regarding provision of equal employment opportunity through non-discrimination in its employment practices in recruitment, hiring, training, promotional opportunities, compensation, discipline, and termination.
- The office of human resources will maintain an applicant tracking system for all applicants and information indicating where advertisements have been placed and the sources used to aid in the recruitment of minorities.
- The college will actively seek diverse applicants by advertising all external positions on local and national diversity targeted websites/sources.
Recruitment Procedures for Budgeted Positions
To initiate a recruitment, the hiring manager must create a requisition using the recruitment system. An up-to-date job description may be attached to the requisition. All revisions to the job description should be communicated clearly by using the track changes feature in Word. The information provided on the requisition will be used to advertise for the position.
The hiring manager and members of the search committee, if applicable, will have access to application materials immediately. The job announcement will remain posted and applicants may apply for a minimum timeframe of two weeks.
Recruitment Procedures for Division Dean and Associate Dean/Faculty Appointments
The division deans and associate deans represent faculty appointments rather than positions. Deans and associate deans are selected from existing faculty positions through an internal search process. When circumstances warrant, external searches may be conducted with the approval of the VPAA. Dean appointments do not have a term limit; associate deans serve a three-year term. At the end of the term, associate dean appointments are re-opened to an internal search, which can result in the reappointment of the same person or the appointment of a different individual.
Recruitment Procedures for Adjunct Faculty
A pool of adjunct faculty applicants by discipline is maintained in the office of human resources. Department chairs and course coordinators may access these pools at any time to find an adjunct to hire. Advertisements are placed as necessary to ensure a sufficient applicant pool.
Recruitment Procedures for Temporary Personnel
Prior to hiring a temporary employee, hiring supervisors may check with human resources about available candidates and interview those qualified for the job. When a candidate is selected, the hiring supervisor completes the hire a temporary/hourly employee electronic form on the college portal prior to the date the employee starts work. The form requires information on the cost center number, the employee’s name, the job duties, and the exact start date, among other information. The office of human resources will verify that the proposed pay rate is accurate based on the job duties. Existing applicant pools are maintained in the office of human resources and external employment agencies can be used to facilitate the hiring process if necessary. All costs associated with the services of an employment or temporary agency must be covered by the requesting cost center.
Noncredit Faculty Recruitment Procedures
Most noncredit faculty appointments are brief (one or two semesters), and employment needs to emerge rapidly and cannot be anticipated in many cases; therefore, responsibility for noncredit recruitment is assigned to the division of continuing education and workforce development.
Effective Date: 11/11/16b
President's Office Use: VPAF