Peer-to-Peer File Sharing Compliance Procedure - 61.12.07
College Policy Number/Title:
Howard Community College prohibits peer-to-peer file sharing and unauthorized downloading of copyrighted information. Downloading or sharing copyrighted music, videos, or games without permission from the copyright owner may result in criminal and civil penalties. See college policy 61.12, Proper Use of Information Technology.
In an effort to deter peer-to-peer file sharing and comply with H.R. 4137, section 668.14 of the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), Howard Community College will:
- inform students on an annual basis that illegal distribution of copyrighted materials may result in criminal and civil penalties. The disclosure will include the steps the college is taking to detect such violations and the disciplinary system in place to respond to illegal distribution. This information is also made accessible to the college community.
- certify to the U.S. Secretary of Education that the college has plans in place to detect and prohibit the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material.
- offer alternatives to illegal file sharing.
- identify procedures for periodically reviewing the effectiveness of the plans to combat the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted materials.
The student life office provides an annual notice to students that provides information on the restriction of peer-to-peer file sharing and illegal download of copyrighted material. This information is maintained and posted on the college website by the information technology division, and is accessible to the college community.
The college uses several methods to detect and deter peer-to-peer file sharing and unauthorized download and distribution of copyrighted material:
- technology-based monitoring and detection (packet shaping prioritized traffic, URL filtering, network traffic monitoring).
- education and awareness.
- student conduct actions under the student code of conduct for misuse of technology resources.
Effective Date: 10/13/17
President's Office Use: VPIT/VPSS