Website Procedure - 61.11.01
College Policy Number/Title:
Each Howard Community College (HCC) web page is an official representation of the college. Information presented must comply with college policies and brand standards. Published information must also adhere to federal and state laws pertaining to security and privacy. These legal requirements include, but are not limited to, the following:
- The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974
- Section 508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Maryland State Law protecting the transmission of student confidential information
- Payment Card Industry (PCI) level 3 security
- Heath Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996
The accuracy of information appearing on web pages is the responsibility of subject matter experts for that content. Departments and offices are responsible for regular review of content on the website pertaining to their areas and/or in which they are considered to be subject matter experts. The office of public relations and marketing approves all content prior to publication.
The following information is inappropriate for publication to the college website:
- Copyrighted information without written consent of the owner, such as text, images, and graphics.
- Libelous information to groups or individuals.
- Language that is abusive, profane, or sexually offensive in nature.
- Confidential student information, including student identification numbers, grades, social security numbers, addresses, phone numbers, and any information not in accordance with FERPA.
- Personal and professional information that is not related to the educational mission of Howard Community College.
Removal of Content
The office of public relations and marketing and the office of web services will remove content that does not adhere to HCC policies regarding appropriate content, logos, brand standards, and copyright.
Effective Date: 05/11/18
President's Office Use: VPIT/EDPRM