Administrator Group Bylaws Procedure - 61.02.04
College Policy Number/Title:
The administrator group at Howard Community College (HCC) represents the administrator constituency and serves as a forum for identifying, deliberating, and seeking consensus on issues related to its members; facilitating communication among its members and the college community and leadership; and promoting professional development.
The anticipated outcomes for the administrator group include: increased awareness of relevant issues among members; communication of the administrative staff perspective to deliberative bodies, including college council, augmented team, and planning council; and enhanced professional development opportunities for members.
Communication to Administrator Group:
Members of the administrator group communicate through the following avenues:
- An HCC portal site for the administrators’ constituency group;
- E-mails to constituency distribution list;
- Semi-annual meetings; and
- Additional meetings or events at the request of members.
- The administrator group's president's team liaison is the executive director of public relations and marketing.
- The administrator group liaison initiates nominations and conducts elections of representatives to the college council as vacancies occur.
- Officers of the group include a chair and vice chair from two different areas of the college. A chair’s or vice chair’s term is two years in length, renewable twice for additional two-year terms, and runs from August 1 to July 31. Chair and vice chair appointments rotate on alternating years.
- Elections for the new chair and vice chair are done electronically and are announced at the last meeting of the academic year. Should an officer step down before the term is complete, an election will be held to fill the open position.
- The chair and vice chair are responsible for convening and managing meetings, and recording and distributing minutes of the meetings. It is recommended that the chair or vice chair attend regular meetings of the board of trustees.
- The meeting schedule will be established by the administrative liaison and will consist of two meetings per year (one per semester), with additional meetings scheduled as necessary. The chair or vice chair will communicate meeting dates to group members.
- The administrator group operates on a consensus basis; a quorum is not required for voting purposes or other group business.
- There are no standing committees of the administrator group; however, should a need arise, the officers may appoint an ad hoc committee consisting of administrators to address a specific need.
- An HCC portal site is available for use by the members of the administrator group. The portal site is used as a communications hub and includes meeting materials, resources, and announcements.
- Administrator group members wanting to have a topic addressed at an upcoming meeting are responsible for forwarding topics to the chair or vice chair.
- Representatives of the group will be identified to represent the administrator group at meetings of the planning council, augmented team, college council, salary and benefits committee, and other groups as needed. In the case of multiple volunteers, the group liaison will initiate a vote to elect members to these teams.
- The administrator group will work in cooperation with the college’s cross-functional professional development team and the human resources office to plan staff development opportunities geared to the needs of the administrator group.
- The members of the administrator group and the group’s liaison will review these bylaws on a regular schedule and will make modifications as needed.
Modified: 02/13/09, 09/10/10, 05/18/16, 08/17/18
President's Office Use: EDPRM