Intellectual Property Policy - 40.02
College Procedure Number/Title:
- 40.02.01 Intellectual Property Produced by HCC Faculty and Staff with College Resources Procedure
- 40.02.02 Intellectual Property Produced by HCC Faculty and Staff without College Resources Procedure
- 40.02.03 Intellectual Property Rights for Commissioned Artistic Work Procedure
- 40.02.04 Creative Commons License for College Intellectual Property Procedure
- 40.02.05 Intellectual Property Produced by Howard Community College Students
Howard Community College encourages the development and dissemination of new knowledge and intellectual property by faculty, staff, and students. Intellectual property is the scholarship and creative work performed or produced by a faculty member, staff member, or student, the creator, which is captured in a tangible medium.
The college owns the rights to intellectual property created by faculty, staff, or students if college resources are used in the creation of the work. However, the college also recognizes that the creator may have vested interests in this property and may grant rights to the creator on a case-by-case basis.
Works that are produced without the use of college resources remain the sole property of the creator.
Intellectual Property and Media Liability Insurance
The college will evaluate the need for Intellectual Property and Media Liability Insurance for the intellectual property created. The use of such insurance provides coverage to protect against patent infringement, trademark infringement, copyright infringement, defamation, product disparagement, warranties, distribution, and consequential damages.
Effective Date: 12/14/18
President's Office Use: VPTL/VPAF