Professor Emeritus Policy - 10.15
Howard Community College (HCC) has established the professor emeritus status to recognize faculty members who have made outstanding contributions to the quality of instruction, growth of the college, the community, and their disciplines.
The following criteria will be used as the basis for recommendation to professor emeritus rank for retiring or retired faculty:
- The faculty member will have earned the rank of professor at HCC.
- The faculty member will have served a minimum of twenty years as a member of the full-time faculty of HCC.
- The faculty member will be recognized by peers and supervisors as having made an outstanding contribution to the quality of instruction at HCC.
- The faculty member will be recognized as having contributed significantly to the quality and growth of HCC as a whole.
- The faculty member will have made substantial contributions to the community, profession, or discipline of the faculty member.
- A dean nominates an individual for the rank of professor emeritus to the vice president of academic affairs.
- The vice president of academic affairs carries all nominations to the faculty forum for consideration.
- The faculty forum makes a recommendation on nominations to the vice president of academic affairs.
- The vice president of academic affairs considers each nomination and supporting materials. If the vice president supports a nomination, the vice president will forward the nomination to the president.
- If the president supports the nomination, the nomination will be forwarded to the board of trustees for consideration. The board of trustees bestows the rank of professor emeritus.
A faculty member who has been approved as professor emeritus by the board of trustees of HCC will have the privileges listed below in addition to the privileges afforded to all retirees. Approval of the professor emeritus privileges will be by the college president upon request.
- Continued faculty listing in the catalog with rank of professor emeritus.
- Tuition waiver for any credit and noncredit courses.
- Standing invitation to participate in institutional functions, such as commencement, dedications, etc.
- Faculty rates for institutionally sponsored events such as plays, film series, and trips.
Effective Date: 04/12/19
President's Office Use: VPAA