Howard Community College Professors to Engage Kids and Families at HoCo STEM Festival June 7
WHO: Howard Community College professors will showcase science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) demonstrations and offer children and the opportunity to participate in fun, hands-on activities at the HoCo STEM Festival at Howard Community College. The third annual event is organized by STEMulating Minds, a volunteer group of STEM professionals in Howard County.
WHAT: The interactive activities and demonstrations that Howard Community College faculty will lead are as follows:
- “HCC Engineering: Electric Circuit Blocks” - Professor Mark Edelen, physics, will help participants construct DC circuits using modified Duplo blocks. Participants will connect blocks to complete a circuit that can turn on a light, a buzzer, or a motor…or build circuits in two or three dimensions.
- “Meet the STEM Professional” - Dr. Heather Dungan Lemko, biology, will share her experiences working in the STEM field and conducting research on the neuroendocrine regulation of reproduction and energy balance. Dr. Lemko teaches anatomy and physiology.
- “Fun with Fossils” - Professors Sharon Lyon and Jennifer Kling, physical science, will answer questions on fossils and preserving fossils. They will also offer guidance to anyone interested in starting their own fossil collection.
- “Microbial Zoo” - Dr. William Straube, biology, will teach participants how to properly use compound microscopes to view a variety of fixed strains of bacteria and live protists.
- “Physics is Shocking” - Professor Russ Poch, physics, and his grandson, Joshua Serene, will demonstrate a Van De Graff generator. This interactive activity teaches basic physics concepts in static and current electricity observed in everyday phenomena.
- “Take Off with HCC Math” - Math Specialist Catherine LaFerriere, Dr. Mike Long, and Professor Loretta Tokoly, mathematics, will showcase three interactive activities: building a 3-D Sipinski pyramid from straws, strings and tissue paper; teach the proper way to build kits; and helping teach interesting facts about your number.
WHEN: Sunday, June 7, 2015, from 1 – 5 p.m.
WHERE: Howard Community College, ST Building, 10901 Little Patuxent Parkway, Columbia, Maryland
PARKING: Visitors are asked to park in Lot A or the East Parking Garage. Due to construction, Campus Drive is closed and traffic cannot pass from one side of campus to the other side, so please plan your visit accordingly. Visit www.howardcc.edu for directions and maps.
To learn more about the festival, visit stemulatingminds.wordpress.com.