Howard Community College Professors to Engage Kids and Families at HoCo STEM Festival June 5
WHO: Howard Community College professors will showcase science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) demonstrations and offer children the opportunity to participate in fun, hands-on activities at the 4th annual HoCo STEM Festival at Howard Community College.
WHAT: The interactive activities and demonstrations that Howard Community College faculty will lead are as follows:
- “Electric Bricks” – Professor Mark Edelen will help participants construct DC circuits using modified Duplo blocks. Participants will connect blocks to complete a circuit that can turn on a light, a buzzer or a motor…or build circuits in two or three dimensions.
- “Virus Tracker” – Dr. Heather Dungan Lemko will run an interactive game that tracks viral infection from host to host across participants. This activity simulates how easily viruses spread in large populations.
- “Numbers, Codes and You” – Dr. Mike Long, Dr. Loretta Tokoly, Dr. Jenny Penniman, Dr. Bernie Sandruck and Dr. Kristy Vernille will show you how numbers and codes are integral parts of your everyday life. Stop by for some mathematical play and learn how numbers are really the “magic” behind the codes that are all around us.
- “HCC Sustainability” – Join Bob Marietta as he demonstrates the different ways HCC practices conservation and sustainability across campus.
- “Kids on Campus at Howard Community College” – Do you want to learn how to code over the summer? Or perhaps, be a young CSI and learn about different lab techniques and dissection? Are you curious about ways to improve your own education and interest? Stop HCC’s Continuing Education table, where Elizabeth Watson can tell you about different programs offered.
WHEN: Sunday, June 5, 2016, from 1 – 5 p.m.
WHERE: Howard Community College, ST Building, 10901 Little Patuxent Parkway, Columbia, Maryland
PARKING: Visitors are asked to park in Lot A in front of Duncan Hall or the East Parking Garage.
To learn more about the festival, visit stemulatingminds.wordpress.com