Healthy Howard County
Howard County was recently announced as being among the Top 10 Healthiest Counties in the nation, according to rankings by U.S. News & World Report.
With education listed as one of the reasons for the rankings, Howard Community College (HCC) is proud to play a role in keeping our community healthy – on and off campus! Check out 10 ways Howard Community College supports the well-being of our students, staff, faculty, and county:
- Wellness Center – The Wellness Center’s purpose is to empower students to make informed decisions about their health, to support their well-being, and quality of life. Each semester, the center offers a variety of wellness services, hosts educational workshops, holds events, and provides students with referrals as necessary.
- Bee Hives – Last summer, HCC installed a bee hive as part of its culinary program. They are a collaborative initiative at the college and will eventually pollinate a vegetable garden planned for the HCC campus.
- Food Pantry – The HCC Food Pantry is open and stocked with essentials as a way to help combat food insecurity for students. All currently enrolled students can pick up food, toiletries, and other items weekly.
- Counseling Services – College can be a difficult and stressful time. HCC has both personal and group counseling services available to provide support and assistance with coping with a broad range of challenges.
- Educating Future Health Care Workers – The demand for a well-trained workforce in the health care field continues to grow, and HCC is helping students get there.
- English Language Training – Through a non-credit program, HCC is introducing advanced-level English as a Second Language (ESL) learners to the world of finance. Participants learn professional and organizational skills, take part in mock interviews, and discuss cultural differences in the workplace.
- Job Fairs and Career Services – Each semester, HCC provides an opportunity for companies and employers to connect with HCC students and the Howard County community to learn about local job opportunities, with more than 100 representatives appearing at the most recent job fair in March.
- Center for Service Learning – Each winter and spring a group of students is selected to travel to a new location and two staff/faculty advisors to explore critical social issues through meaningful service, education, and reflection. Each trip features a different social issue area of focus, a community partner, and domestic or international location.
- Diversity Events/Week – A weeklong series of events is held at HCC each spring in celebration of the diversity of the college’s community of students and employees. In addition, the college offers events celebrating diversity throughout the year.
- Cultural Arts Events – HCC’s Horowitz Visual and Performing Arts Center (HVPA) has become a cultural hub for Columbia and greater Howard County. Through a combination of resident and partnership programming, the HVPA seeks to promote a life-long relationship with the arts, enhancing the cultural climate of Howard County.